The Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 finally gets its first official Jelly Bean update with XXALJ1 ROM, thanks to XDA recognised developer wanam. The official XXALJ1 based Android 4.1.1 update is now available for download, which can be flashed on your favourite Galaxy Note 2 device using ODIN.
This unbranded ROM is now available over Samsung KIES for the UK region and will work independently of your mobile carrier service. In other words, anyone in the UK with a Galaxy Note 2 N7100 can install this firmware update. The firmware, dated September 2012, brings the latest Jelly Bean features to your Galaxy smartphone and supports the following regions: Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom.
Key Points to Note
- The XXALJ1 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are compatible only with the Galaxy Note 2 N7100 model only. It will not work with any other device or model. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to back up apps, important data and settings to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update.
- As this is an official Jelly Bean update based on XXALJ1 ROM for Galaxy Note 2, you will lose root access soon after installing the update. You need to root your Galaxy Note device again to regain full system access, and be able to install third-party root based apps.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the XXALJ1 firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Verify that you have installed the correct USB drivers for your Galaxy Note 2 to enable connectivity with the computer. Download Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 drivers.
- Enable USB debugging mode by navigating to Settings > Developer options and place a check mark against the USB debugging option. This feature helps in connecting your Android phone with the computer.
- Make sure that your phone battery has at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROMs or installing the Jelly Bean update. Be advised that such an incident may cause irreparable hardware damage to your phone.
- Ensure that your phone is rooted and factory unlocked before proceeding with the XXALJ1 ROM installation steps.
How to Update Galaxy Note 2 N7100 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean with XXALJ1 Official ROM
Step 1 - Download Android 4.1.1 N7100XXALJ1 ROM for Galaxy Note 2 to your computer and extract the zip file.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.0.3 on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100.
Step 3 - Power off your phone and boot into Download Mode. To do so, press and hold the Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together, until the Samsung logo or the red and yellow text pops up on the screen.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect your phone to the computer while your phone is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If your phone connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes indicates yellow with the corresponding COM port number. This process is time consuming and must not be interrupted.
Step 7 - Select the files needed to flash/install on your phone, which can be found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'
- Hit Phone button and choose the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Tap CSC button and select the file named 'CSC'. Ignore this step if such file is absent.
- Click PIT button and choose the .pit file. Ignore this step if there is no such file.
Step 8 - In ODIN, enable the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. In case of Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 9 - Click Start button in ODIN and the installation process should begin. This will take a few minutes to complete.
Step 10 - After the ROM is installed, your phone will reboot. Once the home screen pops-up, disconnect your phone from the computer.
XXALJ1 ROM based Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Team Android]