After a history-making season, Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy is preparing for another epic rollercoaster ride – marriage. The England star will say 'I do' to his daughter's mother, Becky Nicholson, at Cheshire's Peckforton Castle on Wednesday afternoon (25 May).
He may be the first man to score in 11 consecutive Premier League games but even record-breakers suffer from family feuds and awkward interactions. What had the potential of being a fairy tale wedding to cap off a triumphant few months has been marred by the fact his bride-to-be has a colourful past and his parents refuse to give their blessing.
Vardy's mother Lisa and stepfather Phil recently confirmed they will not be amongst the guests at the star-studded nuptials and have not spoken to the former Fleetwood Town player for over a year.
Phil Vardy, who raised the reigning Premier League player of the year, previously told The Sun that Nicholson was to blame for the family rift. "It's not right to talk about it at such a time. It's been going on ever since she came on the scene, " he said. "It's a shame and very sad. I don't have anything directly to do with my son any more but I'm still his biggest fan from afar. I'm very proud."
It has been revealed that Nicholson will walk down the aisle in a £5,000 ($7,240) dress by Knightsbridge-based Caroline Castigliano, but what else do we know about the former party planner?
Becky Nicholson facts
- Her full name is Rebekah Nicholson.
- The former party organiser met the football star in January 2014 when she was hired to plan his birthday party at the Viper Rooms nightclub in Sheffield.
- At 34, she is five years older than her husband-to-be.
- After Vardy made history by becoming the first player to score in 11 consecutive Premier League games, she wrote on Twitter "Never a more prouder moment! This guy is not only my hero, he's my inspiration!...No words left."
- The brunette beauty has a five-year-old son with Harrogate Town defender Luke Foster as well as a ten-year-old daughter from another relationship.
- She gave birth to her third child, the first with Vardy, in December 2014.
- Nicolson insists that while she admires David and Victoria Beckham, they are not trying to be the next Posh and Becks. "We're still just Becky and Jamie, but they're great role models," she previously said. "I admire Victoria as a businesswoman. She has become successful in her own right and is someone I have total respect for."
- She was first married as a teenager to Mark Godden.
- Nicholson already uses the Vardy surname on her Facebook profile.
- She had a fling with singer turned reality star TV Peter Andre while she was still married to her first husband. She later claimed that the liaison happened because she knew her marriage was coming to an end and she was left bitterly disappointed with his bedroom performance. "I thought he was going to be a fantastic lover. Then he took his trousers off! He was the worst lover I've ever had. It wasn't even worth the train fare. Peter was tiny. The smallest trouser equipment I've ever seen. It was like a miniature chipolata."
- Ahead of her big day she posed for a risqué 'wedding' photo shoot in just her lingerie.
- She walked out on first husband Mark Godden after six months, telling him she no longer loved him. He recently warned Vardy that she was bad news. "I just hope she doesn't take Jamie Vardy for the mug she took me for. I was in a state when she left. Becky's good-looking and always spent time and money on her appearance. I can only wish her all the best and hope that she's happy," he told the Mail.
- She is said to be at the centre of Vardy's ongoing feud with his family. Vardy's parents haven't spoken to him in over a year and recently confirmed that they will not be attending the wedding.
- When she is not busy reprimanding trolls on Twitter, she gives back by working with youths at the V9 Academy, an organisation aimed at helping non-league soccer players fulfil their potential. She is a director of the academy