Samsung has just started seeding stock Android Lollipop upgrade for Galaxy S5 Plus, spin-off for the flagship Galaxy S5, with similar hardware and software features except the quad-core Snapdragon 805 processor in lieu of Snapdragon 801.
The update is currently live for S5 Plus (model number SM-G910F) users in the Nordic countries and surprisingly, instead of Android 5.0.1, the update brings Android Lollipop version 5.0.2, with baseband version G901FXXU1BOC4 and build number LRX22G.G901FXXU1BOC4.
"Samsung has started to update the Galaxy S5plus to Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) in the Nordic region," confirms senior XDA member, henklbr.
- Model: SM-G901F
- Model name: Galaxy S5 Plus
- Country: Nordic countries
- Version: Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
- Changelist: 4385543
- Build date: 9 March
- Product code: NEE
- PDA: G901FXXU1BOC4
- CSC: G901FNEE1BOC4
G901FXXU1BOC4 build is now rolling out over Samsung Kies and the OTA update should soon make its way through the unlocked G901F units. You can manually install the Lollipop firmware using Odin flashing tool on your device, if the update has not arrived in your region yet.
Check out the following installation guide to flash G901FXXU1BOC4 on your S5 Plus. This stock build is an unbranded version of firmware and can be installed on any unlocked SM-G901F unit.
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers for Galaxy S5 Plus on the computer.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery, before following the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your S5 Plus is having 80% battery. The device might shut down during the process due to lack of battery, which in turn could brick the device.
- You should be having an unlocked Galaxy S5 Plus SM-G901F model.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- The Lollipop firmware used in this tutorial is meant for Galaxy S5 Plus SM-G901F. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.0.2 Lollipop G901FXXU1BOC4 on Galaxy S5 Plus (SM-G901F)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool on your PC
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Power off the S5 Plus
Step-4: Enter Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on the Odin tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect the S5 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin select the firmware files extracted in step-1 in orderly manner
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Also, Re-Partition checkbox should be unchecked
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step-10: The installation should start now. It would take a few minutes to complete the installation. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the home screen on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the phone safely
You Galaxy S5 Plus should now be updated with official Android Lollipop build G901FXXU1BOC4. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new Android version.