Android 5.0 Lollipop is known for its in-built security enhancements wherein you could restrict user access to a particular screen by using the screen pinning feature.
However, this feature does not support password locking mechanism and hence it is imperative that we employ the guest user mode while sharing our Android device with other users.
The guest user mode isolates your personal data from being accessed on the new account which starts up as a freshly installed system with only stock apps onboard.
Using the guest account, users can access or sync their contacts, photos and other stuff from their Google account or even download and install apps from Google Play Store.
In addition, the guest user mode can be disabled by removing the guest's Google account and other stuff from your device once the user is done with the job.
This feature permits the use of sharing apps between the main user and the guest user without compromising app data or revealing the main user's data to the guest user.
As an added advantage, there is no need to re-download the app on the guest account if the same app is already installed on the main user's account.
Despite the flawless security mechanism of guest user mode, there is one major hitch with the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth settings wherein guest users can update these apps for all users on the device as the service is being shared.
Having understood the basic working principles of guest user mode, we can now delve deep into the concept of exploiting the guest user mode to our advantage on devices running Android 5.0 Lollipop.
How to Enable or Switch to Guest User Mode
- Pull down the notification bar using two or more fingers. Then tap the user icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose Guest from the user selection screen and the device will instantly switch to guest user mode.
Once the guest user is done with his/her work, you can switch back to main user as follows:
- Once again expand the notification bar by dragging it down with two fingers, and then tap the user icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Choose the username or account name you wish to switch to and you will be automatically logged into the selected user account.
How to Remove Guest User
Pull down the notification bar again, and then tap the user icon in the top right corner of the screen.
Choose "Remove Guest" and confirm the action by selecting "Remove" from the pop-up window.
Note: This action permanently removes the guest user account along with the user data including downloaded files and pictures captured while in guest mode.
Restricting Guest User from Making Calls
Here is how you restrict the guest user from making phone calls from your phone:
- Using the drop down notification bar (pull down with two fingers), tap the user icon in the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap on "More Settings" button at the bottom of the screen and then tap on "Settings" next to the Guest icon.
- Slide the toggle switch to off position to disallow phone calls for the guest user.
Note: When this feature is enabled and the guest user tries making a phone call, he/she will receive the following message: "This user is not allowed to make non-emergency phone calls."
[Source: The Android Soul]