Owners of the Samsung Galaxy S4 having subscribed to Sprint's wireless network services in the US can now check their devices for the Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update as it is currently active.
Announcing the roll-out of Android 5.0 OS update, Sprint states that users can verify the firmware bearing version number L720VPUGOD2.
The latest update is available over-the-air (OTA) and can be manually searched for and downloaded as well.
Android 5.0 brings along the following new enhancements, to Sprint-driven Samsung Galaxy S4 users in the US:
- Sprint has added the Factory Reset Protection feature which ensures enhanced protection to user confidential user data, if and when users' smartphones are lost/stolen.
General set of enhancements, brought along by Lollipop:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Battery Saver: A battery saver feature that extends device use by up to 90 minutes.
- "OK Google" voice command: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.
- Connectivity: Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi.
- Security: SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware. Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car.
How to manually search-for, download and install Android 5.0 within Sprint-driven Galaxy S4:
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software Updates > Check for Updates.
- Select Download Now.
- When download is complete, a screen appears indicating that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Tap Install Now.
- Sprint-driven Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphones will automatically power off and power back on.
- A new on-screen menu appears stating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK.