Google's Android 5.0 (Lollipop) update which started rolling out officially to users of older Nexus devices and to owners of smartphones and tablets manufactured by other major technology brands, is set to reach the LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition devices.
Multiple users of LG's G Pad 8.3, have reported about receiving the Android 5.0 update, on the XDA Developers Forum.
However, neither LG nor Google have officially announced the rollout of the Android 5.0 update for the LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition variant.
Rollout of Android 5.0 for LG G Pad 8.3 (Google Play Edition) is also confirmed by a new Android Police report which has also provided a link using which you can manually flash the Android 5.0 ROM on your devices.
As for the new functionality set brought about by Android 5.0, no official changelog for the LG G Pad 8.3 has surfaced, but going by a screenshot put up by Android Police, you can expect feature such as a brand new UI, new lockscreen notifications, battery saving mode, Smart Lock and various performance enhancements.
These features are in line with the below mentioned general set of functionality that the Android 5.0 update generally brings with it:
- Material Design UI: Perhaps the most important new feature, the Material Design user interface brings a new look and feel to Moto smartphones. This new look and feel lets users enable better, more natural touch screen interaction and adds new colours, typography and edge-to-edge imagery features.
- New notification control: Users can view and even dismiss notifications on lockscreen without unlocking their smartphones. There are new 'Downtime' and 'Interruption' settings that let users control notifications.
- Multi-user modes: Another important feature of Android Lollipop is that it lets users create multiple accounts so as to share the device between multiple users without having to create customised settings each time.
- New Flashlight: The new flashlight can be activated by just swiping down with two fingers from the status bar. Settings for this particular feature can be viewed in the 'Quick Settings' sub section.
- Battery Saver: Battery settings panel now shows an estimated projection of the remaining time while discharging or charging. A new battery saver mode can also be enabled by users, to save power by reducing performance and certain background data functions to extend battery life considerably.
- Smart Lock: Android Lollipop adds native support for allowing trusted devices to keep your phone unlocked.
If you are an user of LG's G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition, do check for the Android 5.0 update for your devices via OTA, and let us know about the update availability in the comments section below.