Samsung Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge users having subscribed to US Cellular's wireless network services can check their smartphones for a new OTA notification representing the more recent Android 5.1.1 OS update.
As per an official US Cellular listing, Android 5.1.1 is currently live for Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge users, and the OS update bears the baseband version G920R4TYU2BOF7 for S6, and G925R4TYU2BOF7 for S6 Edge.
According to the network provider, the latest roll-out will take place in a phased manner and may take some time for the firmware upgrade to reach all users of the smartphones.
What's new in Android 5.1.1?
Although the official changelog for Android 5.1.1 is yet to surface, the new firmware update most likely incorporates RAW support for images taken via third-party camera apps, along with an array of bug fixes, and stability/performance enhancements.
As of now, the AOSP changelog is available on Android Police, courtesy Al Sutton and JBQ.
Android 5.1.1, for US Cellular-driven S6 and S6 Edge will be available via an over-the-air (OTA), but users can search and install the software manually.
Follow the steps mentioned below to download the upgrade manually:
- From the home screen of your devices, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software updates > Check for updates
- Select Download Now
- When download is complete, a screen will appear informing you that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Select Install Now
- The device will power down and power back on. A screen will appear indicating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK
To download Android 5.1.1 using Samsung Kies, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Download Samsung Kies
- Connect your device to a computer using the USB cable. Firmware upgrades are available only when you connect your device via USB
- Launch Samsung Kies. When a new version of the firmware is available, you will see a notification on the Basic information tab
- Click Firmware upgrade to start the upgrade process
- Follow on-screen prompts, thereon.
As of now, Samsung's Galaxy S6 and Galaxy S6 Edge run the Android 5.0.2 (Lollipop) OS update out of the box.
Apart from US Cellular, T-Mobile in the US has also started seeding Android 5.1.1 to Samsung Galaxy S5 users subscribed to its networks.