Antonio Conte allowed Baba Rahman to leave Chelsea because the full-back is too attacking for the Italian manager's liking.
Rahman, 22, joined Bundesliga side Schalke on a one-year loan deal on Tuesday (2 August). The left-back only joined the Blues last summer, arriving from FC Augsburg for a reported fee of £21m according to the Daily Mail, but started just 11 games in the league.
His first-team opportunities would not have improved under Conte in the 2016-17 season, however, with the defender revealing he was advised to move on if he wanted games.
"Chelsea's new coach Antonio Conte told me to go on loan," he told German newspaper Ruhr Nachrichten. "He told me wants to align the team defensively. But I play much more offensively, so I would have not played many games."
Rahman will be reunited with his former Augsburg coach Markus Weinzierl at Schalke.
Last season, 28 players left Chelsea on loan with many of the club's young prospects again leaving on short-term deals to secure more first-team football opportunities. Jeremie Boga and Victorien Angban has both joined Granada and have been joined in Spain by one of the Blues' most promising talents in Charly Musonda, who has returned to Real Betis after impressing during the second half of last season.
Lewis Baker and Nathan have both returned to Dutch side Vitesse Arnhem where they spent last season, while Nathan Ake and Tomas Kalas have left for a clubs a little closer to home in Bournemouth and Fulham respectively.
Chelsea's incomings have so far been limited to Belgium international Michy Batshuayi and Premier Leaguer winner N'Golo Kante, but Conte anticipates more comings and goings before the end of August. "I think in the future something can happen with the transfer market, in and out," he said according to The Evening Standard. "We know that in the future, different changes can happen, both in and out, with the players."