The girl overdosed on heroin after her father spilled the drug over the bed they shared Wikimedia

A one-year-old girl is in intensive care after she ingested heroin that was split on the her father's bed she was sleeping on.

The toddler and her two-year-old brother were in their father's bed in their New York City home while he was using heroin early on Saturday (2 December), court documents obtained by WPIX revealed. Some of the drug spilled onto the bed and the girl ingested it.

"I was using heroin in the bed before my kids laid down," 20-year-old Edgardo Rodriguez told police, according to court records.

"My kids were there. Some of it spilled onto the bed. It made a mess. I went to sleep. I don't know how my daughter got in contact with the residue on the bed because I was high."

According to officials, the children's grandmother and father noticed the toddler was having trouble breathing around 8am and took her to hospital. The girl was unresponsive when she arrived at St Barnabas Hospital.

Doctors administered three doses of naloxone and placed the girl on a Narcan drip. She was then transported to Montefiore Medical Center. The baby girl remains in critical condition in the pediatric intensive care unit at the hospital.

Court documents reveal that a white powdery substance was found on the bed's comforter inside the Bronx apartment. Rodriguez told had 1.7 grams of heroin in his pants pocket, NY Daily News reported.

Rodriguez was charged with reckless endangerment, criminal possession of a controlled substance and endangering the welfare of a child. He is being held on $5,000 bail.