Borussia Dortmund have not given up hope of Manchester United target Ilkay Gundogan extending his contract at the Westfalenstadion.
According to Sky Sports News, Gundogan held talks with United over a proposed £21.5m move to Old Trafford in April and the Germany international has remained closely linked with a move ever since.
The 24-year-old intensified talk of a move away from Dortmund in May when he turned down an offer to extent his current contract, which will expire next summer.
Dortmund had been adamant the player would be sold in order to avoid the scenario that befell them in 2014, when star striker Robert Lewandowski ran down his contract and left on a free transfer to join rivals Bayern Munich.
"It is unquestionable that he will leave Borussia Dortmund this summer," chief executive Hans-Joachim Watzke told Bild."It was not our wish to see him leave, but it was his wish. Then we said, 'OK', then we will sell you and focus our plans differently'.
Watzke has since taken a step back from that claim, however, indicating Gundogan could yet commit to a new deal with the club.
"Maybe there is still a chance that he has a rethink," Watzke told German newspaper Der Westen when quizzed on the midfielder's future.
Earlier in June, Gundogan decided to speak out on ongoing speculation over his future. In a message posted via his Facebook page, the midfielder said he would make a decision after Germany's European Championship qualifier against Gibraltar – which took place on Saturday 13 June – before indicating he could still see out the remainder of his current Dortmund contract.
"Forgotten was this; I have one more year on my contract with Dortmund. What is important to me is that I am not gambling financially or using delaying tactics," he wrote.
"What's next for me personally, I will reveal soon as possible. But only after the season and our important game for the European Championship qualifier with the national team will I decide."