Cesc Fabregas
Fabregas scores twice in extra-time as Chelsea roar back. Michael Regan/Getty Images

Chelsea fought back from two goals down to beat a 10-man Leicester City in the third round of the EFL Cup. Cesc Fabregas scored twice in the opening four minutes of added time after Marcin Wasilewski was shown a second yellow card in the final minute of the 90.

Some calamitous Chelsea defending allowed Shinji Okazaki to nod home after 17 minutes before he doubled his tally to put the Premier League champions in control. Gary Cahill pulled one back just before half-time to get his side back in the contest with Cesar Azpilicueta lashing home a spectacular volley five minutes into the second half.

Claudio Ranieri's side wilted as the game wore on and Fabregas punished them in the first period of extra time, clipping home after a neat back heel from Eden Hazard before emphatically firing into the roof of the net to settle the tie.

Lucas Perez meanwhile opened his account for Arsenal with a brace as the Gunners comfortably saw off Nottingham Forest.

Nicklas Bendtner made his first appearance for Forest against the club he spent nine years at but could do little to prevent a comprehensive victory for Arsene Wenger's much changed side. After his sublime strike against Hull City on Saturday, Granit Xhaka found the back of the net again from 30 yards, albeit with the help of a deflection, to open the scoring before Perez doubled the lead from the penalty spot on the hour.

The summer signing from Deportivo de la Coruna rounded the goalkeeper to score his second 11 minutes later, before Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain burst free in the dying minutes of the game to add a fourth.

Lucas Perez
Perez off the mark as an Arsenal player. Getty

It was an equally comfortable victory for Liverpool, who dominated Derby County for 90 minutes. Ragnar Klavan capitalised on some slack defending to drill home a Philippe Coutinho corner, before the Brazilian got on the score sheet himself after a neat one-two with Roberto Firmino.

Coutinho was involved in the third goal minutes later, threading a ball through for Divock Origi who hammered home after 54 minutes.

Norwich City consigned a strong Everton side to their first defeat of the season. Steven Naismith opened the scoring against his former club before 21-year-old Josh Murphy settled the contest with a superb strike, cutting in from the right and curling one into the top corner.

In a replay of Saturday's Championship fixture, Newcastle United welcomed Wolves to St James' Park but got some revenge after a shock 2-0 defeat four days ago. Matt Richie capped a neat move from the home side after 29 minutes before Yoann Gouffran added a spectacular second just two minutes later, meeting Richie's cross with a fine volley that flew past Andy Lonergan in the Wolves goal.

Bournemouth came from behind at home to Preston and looked to be heading towards the fourth round until Simon Makienok popped up to score his second and force extra-time. With just over five minutes of added time left, the Dane added his third of the evening, sending Eddie Howe's side out of the competition.

Despite losing Tyler Blackett to a first-half red card, Reading led by two goals from Stephen Quinn and John Swift at the Amex Stadium and clung on against Brighton, who pulled one back late on through Tomer Hemed. Chris Wood meanwhile netted a late winner as Leeds saw off Championship strugglers Blackburn Rovers.