Jurgen Klopp has told Daniel Sturridge he can leave Liverpool when the transfer window reopens next month, according to reports.
Sun on Sunday claims Klopp is planning for the second half of the season without the England international, who has only started five Premier League games for the Reds this season despite being fit for the majority of the campaign.
Reports last week had suggested that Sturridge was considering moving to a foreign club on loan in order to boost his chances of making England's World Cup squad, with Spanish clubs Real Betis and Valencia among those monitoring his situation at Anfield.
The 28-year-old has 18 months left on his Liverpool contract, which is potentially worth as much as £150,000 ($200,000) per week.
He has only sporadically featured for Liverpool this season, with manager Jurgen Klopp mostly sticking with his preferred attacking trident of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino.
Summer signing Dominic Solanke has also moved ahead of Sturridge in the Anfield pecking order in recent weeks.
Klopp is likely to be without Sturridge for the trip to Bournemouth on 17 December as the striker is nursing a hamstring injury.
The German said last month that the former Chelsea forward would get more chances to play during the busy festive period.
"The situation with the player is OK. I can imagine a player with his quality is not happy that he is not starting all the time. I really can imagine that. But that's all," the German was quoted as saying by the Daily Mail.
"We need all our players. There is around one and a half months before the window opens and I don't think about things like this. There are so many games before then and I need all of them."
Simon Mignolet is expected to start for Liverpool at Bournemouth after missing the game against West Brom with an ankle injury.
The Reds are a mammoth 21 points behind league leaders Manchester City, although they have a game in hand.