Chelsea have been encouraged in their pursuit of Racing Genk's Kevin de Bruyne after the player's agent confirmed the highly-rated winger was likely to leave Belgium at the end of the season.
De Bruyne, 20, came close to joining the Blues over the summer but the two clubs failed to agree a transfer fee for the £8m-rated midfielder.
However, de Bruyne looks set to leave the Cristal Arena in the summer, with Chelsea the front-runners to secure the Belgium international's signature.
Speaking to the International Business Times, de Bruyne's agent, Patrick De Coster, confirmed Chelsea had a bid for the left-sided midfielder rejected in the summer but revealed the player was almost certain to leave Genk at the end of the current campaign.
"Chelsea made an offer over the summer which Genk rejected," De Coster said.
"I will have a meeting with the club tomorrow morning [Wednesday] to talk about his future. We have made a promise with the club that [De Bruyne] will stay in Belgium until the end of the season but it is likely then that the player will leave Genk.
"We haven't spoken to Chelsea since the summer but this is football, anything can happen."
Earlier this month, the player claimed Chelsea were still interested in securing his signature, despite failing to meet Genk's valuation last summer.
"Staying at Genk for another season is not an option for me," De Bruyne said.
"Chelsea were serious about signing me but maybe Genk's asking price was too high."
It is believed Chelsea rekindled their pursuit of De Bruyne after he impressed during Genk's Champions League group games between the teams.
The youngster, who has scored four goals in ten appearances this season, can operate as either a left- or a right sided attacking midfielder and is a product of the Genk Academy.