Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010, the Wi-Fi version that was announced alongside N8000, finally gets an official Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update with XWALG4 ROM. The firmware dated 2 August, 2012 is applicable to regions including Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Spain and United Kingdom.
Key Points to Note
- The ROM and the instructions provided in this guide are applicable to the Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010 model only and will not work with any other device. Verify your device's model number by navigating to Settings > About phone.
- IBTimes UK advises users to backup apps, important data and settings (including bookmarks, contacts, SMS, APNs and other internet settings) to avoid data loss while installing the Android 4.0.4 ICS update.
- As this is an official firmware based Android 4.0.4 ICS update for Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010, you will lose root access to the device soon after you install the update. So users are required to root the tablet once again after the update to get full system access and be able to install root apps again.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for reference purpose only and do not cover any warranty claims involving device damage or issues arising out of using the XWALG4 firmware update. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Make sure that the correct USB drivers are installed for your Galaxy Note 10.1 on the computer. This will enable USB connectivity with the computer.
- Enable USB debugging mode to help connect your Android tablet to the computer.
- Ensure that the tablet's battery is fully charged or holds at least 85 percent charge to avoid unexpected device shutdown while flashing the ROM or installing the ICS update.
- Make sure that your tablet is factory unlocked before you proceed with the ROM installation procedure.
How to Install XWALG4 Based Android 4.0.4 ICS Update on Galaxy Note 10.1 (Wi-Fi only) N8010
Step 1 - Download Android 4.0.4 N8010XWALG4 for Galaxy Note 10.1 on your computer and extract the zip file to a desired location or desktop.
Step 2 - Download ODIN v1.85 which is needed to install Android 4.0.4 ICS update on Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 N8010.
Step 3 - Power off your tablet and boot into Download Mode through a button sequence. Press and hold the Volume Down and Power buttons together, until the Samsung logo or the construction Android robot icon with a triangle pops up on screen. This confirms entry into Download Mode.
Step 4 - Launch ODIN on your computer and connect Galaxy Note 10.1 to it while the tablet is still in Download Mode.
Step 5 - If the tablet connects successfully, one of the ID: COM boxes glows yellow showing the corresponding COM port number. This step may be time consuming. So, leave it alone.
Step 6 - Browse and choose the files that you have to flash/install on your tablet, which are found among the extracted files in Step 1.
- Click the PDA button and choose the file named 'CODE'.
- Click on Phone and click the file named 'MODEM'. Ignore this step if such file is missing.
- Click on CSC and choose the file named 'CSC'. Skip this step if there is no such file.
- Click on PIT and choose the .pit file. Skip this step if such file is absent.
Step 7 - In ODIN, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. As for the Re-Partition option, enable it ONLY if you chose a .PIT file in the previous step.
Step 8 - Click Start button in ODIN and the installation process will begin. It will take a few minutes to complete.
Step 9 - Once the ROM is installed, your tablet will reboot. When you see the home screen, just disconnect your tablet from the computer and you are done.
XWALG4 based Android 4.0.4 ICS update is now successfully installed in your Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (WiFi only) N8010. Navigate to Settings > About tablet to verify the build of new firmware installed.
[Source: Team Android]