Following the roll-out to the US T-Mobile variants, Samsung has started the Android 5.1.1 Lollipop treatment for the global variant of Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925F) beginning with users in the UK and Ireland.
As the update bearing build G925FXXU2BOFJ is currently live over the Samsung Kies server, the OTA should not take too long to hit your device. You can manually check for the update from Settings>> About device>> Software updates.
- Model: SM-G925F
- Model name: Galaxy S6 Edge
- Country: United Kingdom/Ireland
- Version: Android 5.1.1
- Changelist: 5012324
- Build date: 19 June
- Product code: XEU
- PDA: G925FXXU2BOFJ
- CSC: G925FOXA2BOFJ
The update has also started for the international European Galaxy S6 variant in France, where the owners seems to have confirmed an update with build G920FXXU2BOFJ weighing 623MB.
Along with a few optimisations and tweaks, the update brings improvement for the Camera app, allowing users to adjust exposure directly from the viewfinder. The update does not do any good for the RAM issue, which seems to be still present.
Users looking for a manual download of Android 5.1.1 on the Galaxy S6 Edge, may refer to the following installation guide.
- Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers for Galaxy S6 on the computer.
- Create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery, before following the installation guide.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options>> check the USB Debugging option.]
- Ensure your S6 has 80% battery. The device might shut down during the process due to lack of battery, which in turn could brick the device.
- You should have an unlocked Galaxy S6 SM-G920F model.
- The phone will lose custom ROM once the stock update is installed. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The phone will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- The Lollipop stock firmware build G925FXXU2BOFJ works with Galaxy S6 only. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number and then install firmware based on the model number.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to install Android 5.1.1 G925FXXU2BOFJ on Galaxy S6 Edge (SM-G925F)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip
Step-3: Switch off your S6 Edge
Step-4: Enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down button together
Note: Ensure that you have installed proper USB drivers installed on your PC.
Step-5: Launch Odin as Administrator on the computer. Click on the Odin tool then right-click and select Run as Administrator from the drop down menu
Step-6: Connect the S6 to the PC using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP/PDA button and select the firmware file extracted in step-1
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Also, the Re-Partition checkbox should not be ticked
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin
Step-10: The installation should start now. It would take a few minutes to complete the installation. Once the process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. When you see the home screen on the phone, unplug the USB cable from the phone safely
Your Galaxy S6 Edge should now be ready to get started with Android 5.1.1 on board.