After the success of Jelly Bean Build 4, the Android Open Kan Project Team has announced the availability of the AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 custom builds for a total of 28 Android running devices including the Samsung Galaxy S2 with model number I9100G which is currently running on Android version 4.1.2.
The AOKP Build 5 is based on the latest Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) and carries some new features.
1) Traditional toggles instead of Tiles (Optional)
2) New Navigation Ring configuration menu
3) S Pen support for Note 2
4) Quiet Hours toggles
The latest custom build further fixes the random reboot issue and brings enhancement over the lockscreen performance with faster navigation. Browse to the source page to learn more about the AOKP Build 5 ROM.
Galaxy S2 users, who wish to upgrade their handsets with Android 4.2.2 using AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5, may follow our step-by-step instruction guide below. Users are reminded that this Jelly Bean ROM works only with Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G; installing this ROM on any other variants may brick the device.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device, proceed at your own risk.
1) Install USB Driver for Samsung Galaxy S2 to connect the phone to the computer.
2) Enable the USB Debugging Mode. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) The Galaxy S2 should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed.
4) Make a Nandroid back-up in case the new ROM does not work.
5) The tutorial may wipe all the data of the phone, therefore, create back-up for all the data.
6) Verify that the battery of the Galaxy S2 should have more than 80 per cent of charge.
7) The device should be factory unlocked.
Steps to install Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100G
2) Download Google Apps package
3) Plug in the USB cable to the phone to connect it with the computer. Now transfer the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone
4) Disconnect the Galaxy S2 from the computer and switch it off
5) Boot into Recovery Mode by switching on the phone while pressing and holding the Volume Up, Menu and Power buttons together
6) In CWM recovery, perform a complete data wiping task first. Now using the Volume keys navigate to 'flash zip from SD card,' press the Power button to select it. Select 'Choose zip from SD card' once again using the Power button
7) Using the Volume keys browse to the Jelly Bean ROM zip file which is being copied to the SD card. Select it by pressing the Power button and confirm installation on the next screen
8) After the ROM is installed, repeat the same steps to install the Google Apps file
9) Once the installation process is completed, navigate to "+++++Go Back" and select reboot the phone by selecting 'reboot system now'
Once the device boots up successfully, the Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G should be running on Android 4.2.2 AOKP JB-MR1 Build 5 ROM. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the software version of the phone.