Following the release of leaked Jelly Bean official firmware - Android 4.2.1 XXUFMB3 - for Galaxy S3 I9300, the smartphone users can now rejoice over the release of latest Android 4.2.2 (Jelly Bean) Vanilla RootBox custom ROM. With due credit to XDA recognised developer - bajee 11, the ROM brings a bloatware free, pure (stock) Android experience with the best custom features hand-picked from popular custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod (CM), Android Open Kang Project (AOKP) and Android Open Source Project (AOSP). The RootBox ROM also introduces a host of interesting features into the original CM profile including Phone and Tablet Mode User Interface (UI) as well as new Language features.
Check out the complete list of features supported by Vanilla RootBox Jelly Bean ROM below:
Key Features of Android 4.2.2 Vanilla RootBox v3.8 ROM
- AOKP Features
- CM Profiles
- Per App DPI
- Per App Tablet UI
- Per App Language
- OTA Updates - Goo Manager
- Navigation Bar Colour
- Camera: Save to external memory
- Phone: Advance Phone Settings (Vibrate on Answer, Every 45 Seconds, On Hangup and On Call Waiting)
- Phone: Noise Suppression
- MMS: Message rate alerts (Modify SMS message limit for alert)
- MMS: Fully Customizable MMS Theme
- MMS: Soft Keyboard Type (Emoji, Enter to Send, Enter for a New Line)
- Home button call answer (Accessibility Option)
- Variable size pattern lockscreen
- LCD Density Changer
- Low Battery Warning (Pop-up & Sound, Pop-up only, Sound only, Off)
- Option to control cursor in text fields using volume keys
- Disable Fullscreen Keyboard (Landscape mode)
- Expanded Desktop
- Hold Back to Kill
- CRT Animation (Screen On/Screen Off)
- Lockscreen Shortcuts (Paranoid)
- Pie (Paranoid Android)
- Lockscreen Targets (CM)
- Screen Security Features (Unlock options: Quick Unlock, Delay Screen Lock, Menu Unlock, Home Unlock)
- cLock (Chronus)
- Option to disable sound when adjusting volume
- Launch Music app on Headset connection
- Hardware Keys Remapping
- Lockscreen Hardware Keys Remapping
Key Points to Note
- Vanilla RootBox v3.8 ROM and the instructions given in this guide are applicable for the international variant Galaxy S3 I9300 model only. Verify the device's model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Verify that the correct USB drivers are installed for the phone on computer (download Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 USB drivers)
- Backup the important data and settings on the phone and ensure that the device has at least 85 percent battery charge before proceeding with the ROM installation.
- Make sure that USB Debugging mode is enabled on the phone by navigating to Settings > Developer Options (if the device is running Android 4.0 or later) or go to Settings > Applications > Development (if the phone is running Android 2.3 or earlier). Otherwise if the device is running Android 4.2, then do the following steps:
- Go to Settings > About Phone
- Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and select Build Number
- Tap the Build Number for seven times to unlock or reveal the Developer Options under Settings. Then select the checkbox to enable USB Debugging mode under Settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that the device is factory unlocked and rooted with ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed on it.
- If the device is stuck at booting or experiencing boot loop issues, then perform Wipe Cache Partition and Wipe Dalvik Cache a few more times before reboot.
- Allow the newly installed ROM to stabilise for five minutes after first boot, before working on it.
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for reference purpose only, and IBTimes UK will not be held liable if you damage or brick your device during or after the ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
How to Update Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean with Vanilla RootBox ROM
- Connect the phone to your computer with original USB cable.
- Without extracting, copy the downloaded RootBox ROM and Google Apps zip files to the root folder on your phone's SD card.
- Disconnect the device's USB cable from computer and then switch off the phone.
- Now, boot the device into ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery by pressing and holding Volume Up, Power and Home buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on screen. Then release all three buttons for half a second and hold them again. Now, the CWM recovery screen should appear. NOTE: Use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select an option in recovery.
- Take a Nandroid backup of the current ROM, so that it can be restored later if the new ROM fails to work or you want to return to the original ROM. To take a backup, choose Backup and Restore, and then hit Backup again on next screen. Return to main recovery menu once backup is done.
- Now, perform a full data wipe process. To do so, click Wipe Data/Factory Reset and choose Yes on next screen to confirm. Wait for a few minutes until the data wipe process completes. Then return to CWM recovery main menu. Choose Wipe Cache Partition and after the wipe process completes, tap on Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option.
- Choose Install zip from SD card, then click Choose zip from SD card. Now, browse to the Vanilla RootBox v3.8 ROM ZIP file that you copied earlier in Step 2 and select it by tapping Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen by choosing Yes and the installation will begin.
- After the ROM installation is complete, repeat the step 7 but choose the gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip file instead of ROM zip to install Google apps.
- Once both the ROM and Google Apps are installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap Reboot System Now to reboot the phone into Android 4.2.2 Vanilla RootBox v3.8 ROM. The first boot may be time-consuming. So, leave it alone.
- Restoring to Previous ROM: To return to your previous ROM, boot into Recovery, choose Backup and Restore then restore your original ROM by choosing it from the list.
Android 4.2.2 Vanilla RootBox Jelly Bean ROM is now installed and running on your Galaxy S3 I9300. Go to Settings > About Phone to verify the firmware version installed.
[Source: Android Jinn]