A new official update with base firmware XXBME3 has been released for the LTE version of Galaxy S3 with model number GT-I9305. The update is based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and has been rolled out in some counties such as Poland and France.
Users can install the update the official way by either using Samsung KIES Utility or via OTA update feature from Settings>> About phone>> Software Update.
Those who fail to update their handsets using either of the official methods for being region-specific and prefer to install the update manually may follow our step-by-step guide. The firmware is unbranded and not carrier-branded and can be installed on any unlocked version of Galaxy S3 I9305.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to the device. Before installing the official firmware, users are advised to ensure that their devices meet the following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE to connect the Android device with computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S3 should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of the official firmware. Additionally, it will lose custom recovery such as ClockworkMod/TWRP which will be replaced by stock recovery.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of the official firmware.
8) XXBME3 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware works only on LTE Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9305. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to install XXBME3 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 GT-I9305 LTE
Step-1: Download XXBME3 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Beanofficial update for Samsung Galaxy S3 to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using winrar/7zip/winzip or any other extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files
Step-3: Download Odin v3.07. Extract Odin zip to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
Step-4: Power off the Galaxy S3and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete switch off
Step-5: Place the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot appears on the phone screen. Press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3 v3.07.exe as an Administrator [To do so right click on Odin.exe file then click on Run as administrator from context menu.]
Step-7: Connect Galaxy S3 to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully an Added message will appear under Odin. Also, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number, indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not appear, then try the USB port at the back of the computer. If Odin still fails to recognise the device, then re-install USB driver.
Step-8: Select these files extracted from I9305XXBME3 folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore the last three steps (step-b, c and d) if such files do not exist.
Step-9: Verify Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected in Odin window. But uncheck the Re-Partition option; select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-10: Double check everything and hit the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and would take about few minutes to complete
Step-11: When the installation process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically. Also, the successful installation will be indicated by a PASS message with green background in the extreme left box at the very top of Odin. Unplug the USB cable from the phone to disconnect it from the computer
As the Galaxy S3 LTE boots up, it should have been updated with XXBME3 Android 4.1.2 official build. To verify the new software version of the handset, head over to Settings>> About phone>> Android & Baseband Version to verify the new software version running on the device.
How to fix bootloop issue
If the Galaxy S3 gets stuck at booting animation or Samsung logo (after step-11), then place the device in recovery mode by pressing and holding the Home, Power and Volume Up buttons together. In recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting wipe data/factory reset. Then select Wipe Cache Partition and once the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option. Performing wiping task will erase the phone's internal memory data.
Click here for guide to root Galaxy S3 LTE I9305 on XXBME3 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean
[Source: Droid Firmwares]