Samsung has begun pushing out the first July updates for the Exynos 5 octa-core variant of Galaxy S4 with model number GT-I9500. The update is currently available in several countries such as Russia, India, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
The new official build, I9500XXUBMG1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean, is a small update weighing a mere 30.52MB, which is expected to improve the stability of the device. Users can install the update via Over-The-Air (OTA) as well as through Samsung KIES server, notes Sammobile.
The I9500XXUBMG1 Russian build is an unbranded version of firmware which can be downloaded on any GT-I9500 units except those from China, Taiwan and Hong Kong.
Device model: GT-I9500
Version: Android 4.2.2
Build date: 1 July, 2013
Product Code: SER
Those who cannot wait for the OTA update to reach their regions and wish to install the firmware manually may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to ensure that their handsets meet following requirements:
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 to transfer files between the Android device to the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and check the USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery. Click here for our guide to install CWM recovery on Galaxy S4.
4) The Galaxy S4 should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version once official build is installed.
7) The I9500XXUBMG1 is an official firmware which means the phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official version. In addition, it will lose custom recovery which will be replaced with the stock recovery.
8) I9500XXUBMG1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean works only on Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500. As installing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone >> Model number.
Steps to install I9500XXUBMG1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S4
Step-1: Download Android 4.2.2 XXUBMG1 Jelly Bean official update for Samsung Galaxy S4 to the computer
Step-2: Extract the downloaded firmware zip to get a .tar.md5 file with some other files
Step-3: Download Odin 3.07. Extract the Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and few other files
Step-4: Turn off the Galaxy S4 and wait for about five to six seconds for vibration to confirm complete power off
Step-5: Place the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Home and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot appears on the screen. Then press the Volume Up button to continue to enter into Download Mode
Step-6: Run Odin3.v3.07.exe as an Administrator
Step-7: Connect the Galaxy S4 to the computer using USB cable while it is in the Download Mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the device is connected successfully, an Added message will appear under Odin message box. Additionally, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn blue with the COM port number indicating successful connection
Note: If the Added message does not come then try another USB port, try the port located at the back side of the computer. If that too does not work then re-install USB drivers.
Step-8: Select theses files extracted from I9500XXUBMG1 folder to install on the phone
a) Click the PDA button and select file with .tar.md5 extension
b) Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
c) Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
d) Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
[Note: Ignore the last three steps (b, c and d) if such files are not found.]
7) In Odin, verify that Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes are selected. But uncheck the Re-Partition option, select it only when a .pit file is being used
Step-9: When everything is set, click the Start button in Odin. The installation should begin now and would take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: Once the installation process is completed the phone will restart automatically. Followed by this a PASS message with green background will appear in the extreme left box at the very top of the Odin indicating successful installation. Now unplug the USB cable from the device to disconnect it from the computer
Samsung galaxy S4 should now be updated with I9500XXUBMG1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean official update. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software running on the device.
How to fix bootloop
If the Galaxy S4 gets stuck at boot animation or Samsung logo (after step-10), then boot the device into recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. In the recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting Wipe data/Factory Reset then select Wipe Cache Partition. Once the action is completed, go back to main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select the desired option. Performing data wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the phone.
Click here for guide to root Galaxy S4 on I9500XXUBMG1 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean
[Source: Honai of Android]