Users of Samsung's older Galaxy S4 3G-enabled smartphones can now run Android 5.1.1 on their smartphones via the new crDroid custom ROM.
The crDroid custom ROM offers new features such as:
- Do not disturb
- Blacklisting of calls and text messages
- Navigation bar on/off
- Power menu and notifications tiles
- Vibrate on tiles touch
- Omni-ambient display
- Ad blocker
- Swipe behaviour
- Quick access button on expanded status bar
- Clear recent locations
- Heads-up customisation
- Superuser indicator
Points to remember before flashing crDroid Android 5.1.1 custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4 I9500
- The crDroid custom ROM should be flashed only on Samsung Galaxy S4 handsets bearing model number GT-19500; other devices might get bricked.
- Ensure that your smartphone is rooted prior to flashing custom ROM
- USB drivers should be installed on the computer, so that the smartphone is detected.
- Ensure that the handset has at least 80% battery charge to avoid bricking the device during installation.
- Installation of custom ROM nullifies warranty provided by your smartphone manufacturer. However, you can flash stock-ROM to restore warranty.
How to flash crDroid Android 5.1.1 Lollipop custom ROM on Samsung Galaxy S4:
IBTimes UK reminds readers it will not be held responsible for any damage to device during or after installation of the CrDroid LollipopROM as it requires sound technical knowledge. Readers are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Step 2: Interface the smartphone to the computer via the USB cable.
Step 3: Copy the downloaded crDroid Android 5.1.1 ROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the smartphone's SD card. Ensure that these files are in the SD card root only (not in other folders).
Step 4: Power OFF smartphone and disconnect USB cable from computer.
Step 5: Activate the Recovery Mode. Once in Recovery Mode, power ON the phone by holding Volume up, Home and Power buttons.
Step 6: When in the ClockworkMod Recovery, perform full data wipe by selecting "wipe data/factory reset". Power button can be used for all selections while in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7: Select Wipe Cache Partition and clear cache memory.
Step 8: From CWM recovery, go to advanced and then select wipe dalvik cache. This step is optional, but recommended.
Step 9: Navigate to main recovery screen and select "install zip from SD card".
Step 10: Select choose zip from sdcard. Using volume keys, navigate to the crDroid Android 5.1.1 ROM zip file that you copied to SD card and select it using the Power button. Confirm installation on the next screen and the installation process should begin.
Google Apps: Repeat the above step for the Gapps zip file as well and install it on your Samsung Galaxy S4.
Step 11: After installation is completed, navigate to "+++++Go Back+++++" and reboot smartphone by selecting "reboot system now" from the recovery menu.
Your Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 should take at least five minutes to finish booting.
Once booting is completed, verify Android 5.1.1 crDroid custom ROM installed. To verify custom ROM, navigate to Settings > About phone.
[Source: Team Android]