Huddersfield Town
Huddersfield reach the Premier League for the first time in their history. Getty


  • David Wagner's side won 4-3 on penalties after goalless draw at Wembley.
  • Christopher Schindler scored decisive spot-kick after Jordan Obita's miss.

Huddersfield Town have been promoted to the Premier League for the first time in their history after beating Reading on penalties in the Championship play-off final.

After 120 minutes, the two sides had shared the first goalless final since the play-off system was introduced in 1987. But Christopher Schindler's decisive spot kick sealed a historic win that could be worth £200m to his side.

His winning strike came after Terriers' goalkeeper Danny Ward, on loan from Liverpool, stopped Jordan Obita's effort from 12 yards out.

David Wagner's side will become the 49<sup>th different club to play in the Premier League next season, joining Championship winners Brighton and runners up Newcastle United in stepping up to England's top flight.

Jaap Stam's Reading will now spend a fifth consecutive campaign in the Championship next season.

Huddersfield were among the sides tipped to struggle in the Championship this season and were at in 18th place when Wagner was brought to the Kirklees Stadium to replace Chris Powell in November, the club's first manager from outside the British Isles and Ireland.

His side largely dominated the contest in the first-half with Izzy Brown, on loan from Chelsea this season, spurning the best chance of the game early on, placing his effort wide of the post from three yards out after being picked out at the far post by Elias Kachunga.

Huddersfield's pressure subsided somewhat in the second-half as the final descended into a scrappy affair. John Swift tried to lift the Royals with a driving run through the opposition only to be denied by Ward before Lewis Grabban wasted a decent opportunity with half an hour remaining.

It was Reading who took the advantage in the shoot-out when Michael Hefele's tame effort was stopped by Ali Al-Habsi. Stam's side led 2-1 but when Liam Moore blazed his effort over the crossbar, Aaron Moy levelled the contest again with just one spot kick remaining for each side.

While Obita saw his effort saved, Schindler held his nerve to slot past Al-Habsi and spark the celebrations.