Apple has just seeded the iOS 7.0.2 bug-fix update for lock screen security vulnerability which was discovered earlier by iPhone user Jose Rodriquez. The security bug reportedly allowed anyone to bypass the Lock screen pass-code and access sensitive information stored in photos, Twitter, email and more.
The bug-fix update is now available for download and installation via Over-The-Air (OTA) update. The OTA update is just 17.2MB in size and can be installed on the following iOS devices:
- iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4
- iPad 4, iPad 3, iPad 2, iPad mini
- iPod touch 5G
To install via OTA, go to Settings > General > Software Update and click Check for Update.
NOTE: Those who cannot access the iOS 7.0.2 update via OTA for some reason can use the direct download links given below to update their devices manually via iTunes.
Direct Download Links for iOS 7.0.2 Bug-Fix Update
- iPad (4th generation CDMA)
- iPad (4th generation GSM)
- iPad (4th generation WiFi)
- iPad mini (CDMA)
- iPad mini (GSM)
- iPad mini (WiFi)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi (3rd generation)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for ATT)
- iPad 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular (model for Verizon)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi (Rev A)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (GSM)
- iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (CDMA)
- iPhone 5 (GSM)
- iPhone 5c (CDMA)
- iPhone 5c (GSM)
- iPhone 5s (CDMA)
- iPhone 5s (GSM)
- iPhone 4s
- iPhone 4 (GSM Rev A)
- iPhone 4 (GSM)
- iPhone 4 (CDMA)
- iPod touch (5th generation)
IBTimes UK brings you a step-by-step guide to download and install iOS 7.0.2 bug-fix update on your iOS device, courtesy of iPhone Hacks:
How to Install iOS 7.0.2 Lock Screen Bug-Fix Update via iTunes
- Download the correct firmware for your iOS device.
- Connect the device to computer via USB cable. Wait for iTunes to launch and recognise the device.
- Click the device button to the left of iTunes Store button at the top right corner in iTunes.
- Hold Shift key (Option key for Mac) and click Check for Update button in Summary pane. Locate the .ipsw file you downloaded and select it.
- Do not disconnect the device until the update completes installing.
- If you have any important data backed up, restore the device via backup and sync it with iTunes.
NOTE: Renowned iOS hacker MuscleNerd has confirmed that it is safe to update iOS 7 or iOS 7.0.1 to iOS 7.0.2 as it will not affect any existing jailbreak exploits. However, those running iOS 6.x.x or lower should avoid updating to iOS 7.0.2 as it will break existing jailbreak tweaks and apps on the device.