A court petition filed by Brad Pitt, requesting to keep his custody battle with Angelina Jolie private, has been temporarily denied.
E! News reports that the actor's lawyer, Lance Spiegel, confirmed that the 52-year-old had requested an emergency hearing on Wednesday (7 December) to keep all documents from the custody case and information relating to the couple's six children, sealed in a bid to protect them during the ongoing legal battle.
While the judge has refused the request for now, on the basis that an "emergency action" is not necessary, the request may yet be granted at a later date in view of the couple's high profile and the media interest in the matter.
A hearing has been scheduled for January, when Pitt's request to keep their custody battle out of the public eye for the sake of the children, will be reviewed.
Meanwhile, the Allied actor is said to be incredulous that Jolie might want the private details of their marital breakdown to be made public.
A source told People magazine: "Angelina has consistently made public statements and public filings throughout this process. He has not. All he is saying — and any therapist would agree here — is that he wants to do what is in the best interests of his children, and his entire family, including her, frankly. And that is to keep this private."
The source added: "It is inconceivable why anyone would argue against this being private. What is the argument for having it public? Why would you want any details about this incredibly difficult time to be broadcast to the whole world?"
Following the denial of an emergency hearing, Jolie's lawyer, Laura Wasser, told E! that the actress' team has "won", further claiming that Pitt made the request to have the documents sealed in a bid to protect his own reputation because it is his conduct that is "at the centre of the DCFS and FBI investigations."
Pitt was however, cleared of any wrongdoing after an investigation into claims of child abuse following an alleged altercation between the actor and his eldest son, Maddox.
Last week Jolie reportedly filed new documents to ensure that Pitt continues to adhere to the existing temporary custody agreement requiring monitored visits, following her concerns that he may apply to see the children without the supervision of a therapist.
The new court documents state that the estranged couple will both need to be present during counseling sessions with the children, alongside a therapist named as Ian Russ of Encino, California.
The pair have not seen each other since September when Jolie filed for divorce from the actor after 12 years together and two years of marriage, citing "unreasonable conduct."
The Oscar-winning actress filed for sole custody of their six children, twins Vivienne and Knox, aged eight, Shiloh, 10, Zahara, 11, Pax, 13, and Maddox, 15. However, Pitt said he would fight for joint custody.
Meanwhile The Tomb Raider star's representative has denied Mail Online reports that she was planning to move to London for a job with the UN. The aide insisted the actress is instead looking for a new house in Los Angeles to ensure the children can continue to maintain contact with their father.