Sighthill Edinburgh
Stuart Young raped two babies and a young girl in the area of Sighthill, Edinburgh. M J Richardson/Wikicommons

A man has been convicted at Edinburgh High Court of raping a two babies and nine-year-old girl.

The court heard that Stuart Young, 37, preyed on the children between November 2008 and December 2013 in various locations around Edinburgh. The sexual attacks on the one-day-old boy continued until he was aged three months.

During the week-long trail the court heard how Young raped a baby girl, aged six months, in November 2008. He continued to assault her until December 2013, when she was aged five. Meanwhile, in July 2013, he also abused a nine-year-old girl in the Stenhouse area of the Scottish capital.

Yesterday the jury convicted Young on two charges of rape and another of sexual assault. Judge Paul Arthurson QC deferred sentence while the court obtains reports about Young's character. In the interim Young has been placed on the Sex Offenders Register. Young swore audibly as he left the dock.

The judge warned Young, who lived in Sighthill, Edinburgh, that he should expect a lengthy prison sentence. Judge Arthurson said: "You have been convicted of some truly depraved and despicable crimes. You should expect a sentence to reflect your level of criminality."

Young has previous convictions for non-related offences. He had pleaded not guilty and denied any wrongdoing.

The details of the case were so harrowing that jurors have been excused from serving on another jury for five years. Young's defence solicitor, Ian Paterson, told the court: "Mr Young expects that a substantial period of imprisonment will be imposed upon him."

Young will be sentenced at the High Court on 28 May. Detective Inspector Douglas Moran, of Police Scotland, said that Young's victims and their families were receiving specialist support. He said: "Thanks to the bravery of these two little girls in speaking up about the horrific abuse Young inflicted upon them, their physical ordeal is over and their tormentor is now facing a considerable prison sentence. The baby boy was given a voice so he too could be spared further suffering.

"However they, and their families, have had to live through Young's catalogue of offending again since he refused to accept responsibility for his actions and subjected them to a trial."