Torino have insisted Manchester United target Andrea Belotti will not leave for a Serie A rival in the summer. With 27 goals to his name this season, Belotti, 23, has emerged for a target for the Premier League giants, who are widely expected to be in the market for a new centre forward during the upcoming transfer window.
Arsenal also tried their luck with a bid of €65m (£56m, $68.4m) during the January transfer window, according to Torino sporting director Gianluca Petrachi. The offer was swiftly rejected.
The 23-year-old signed a new contract in December 2016 that included a buyout clause of €100m, a trigger that only applies to clubs outside of Serie A.
But while Italian clubs won't be required to meet that figure, Torino are confident none of their domestic rivals will be able to produce an offer that satisfies their demands – including AC Milan.
Italian reports have claimed Petrachi met with Milan director Massimiliano Mirabelli on Wednesday (10 May) to discuss their interest in Belotti. While the Rossoneri are expected to flex some significant financial muscle following their £628m Chinese takeover earlier this year, Petrachi sill doubts any domestic rival will be able to meet their valuation.
"Yes we did [discuss Belotti]," Petrachi said of his meeting with Milan officials, reports SportItalia.
"Mirabelli told me than Belotti is a player he is particularly interested in. I have also advised Belotti to remain at Torino for another year to grow and mature.
"If a top club were to arrive that targets the scudetto, he could leave, otherwise he is staying with us.
"Are Milan a top club? In terms of history yes, but today they are not challenging for the title. It is unlikely an Italian club will have the money to buy him. Andrea will only leave for a top club."
According to ESPN, United have already contacted Torino to make their interest in Belotti known, with Mourinho keen to add two forwards to his squad this summer.