Michail Antonio
Michail Antonio is mobbed by his West Ham teammates after late winner against Bournemouth Michael Regan/Getty Images

A late Michail Antonio header ensured that West Ham United emerged victorious from their first ever Premier League fixture at the London Stadium on Sunday (21 August). Just as it seemed as if a rather turgid clash with Bournemouth was drifting aimlessly towards a drab stalemate, the former Reading, Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest winger rose above Charlie Daniels to head home new signing Gokhan Tore's far-post cross with just five minutes remaining.

Striker Jonathan Calleri, who joined on loan from Uruguayan Segunda Division outfit Deportivo Maldonado last week, spurned a glorious chance to extend the lead in second-half injury time after bursting through on goal. The visitors were reduced to 10 men with the score still goalless when midfielder Harry Arter, already booked for dissent, was shown a second yellow card for bringing down Cheikhou Kouyate as he looked to launch an attack down the right flank.

In the day's early kick-off, newly-promoted Middlesbrough earned bragging rights over north-east rivals Sunderland in the first Wear-Tees derby for seven years courtesy of a memorable brace from Cristhian Stuani.

The Uruguayan striker, making his first appearance in the top-flight after being left as an unused substitute for last weekend's opening draw against Stoke City, broke the deadlock after 14 minutes and stunned the Stadium of Light with a sensational, instinctive right-footed strike from 25 yards that beat goalkeeper Vito Mannone all ends up.

He completed his brace shortly before half-time, applying the finishing touches to an incisive passing move from close range after Adam Forshaw had supplied Alvaro Negredo with a brilliant reverse pass. The Spaniard then cut inside with ease before teeing up his strike partner for the second time.

Alvaro Negredo and Cristhian Stuani
Alvaro Negredo and Cristhian Stuani combined to defeat Sunderland Stu Forster/Getty Images

Sunderland, who were forced to hand an early debut to new signing Steven Pienaar after an injury sustained by captain John O'Shea, showed signs of improvement after the break and grabbed a consolation when the unconvincing Brad Guzan, in for Victor Valdes, failed to hold a hopeful strike from Duncan Watmore and could not stop Patrick van Aanholt pouncing to fire the rebound home.

The winless Black Cats have dropped into the bottom three and are still searching for their first competitive point under Sam Allardyce successor David Moyes after last weekend's 2-1 defeat to Manchester City. In his post-match press conference, the manager warned fans to expect another relegation battle.