Nexus 10 users will now be able to root their devices to Android 4.4 KitKat, with base firmware KRT16O, using SuperSU root released by recognised XDA developer, Chainfire.
Along with Nexus 7, Google has rolled out Android 4.4 KitKat official OTA update for the 10in Nexus tablet, which runs Android version, 4.3 Jelly Bean.
Nexus 10 users who wish to root their devices on the latest Android version may follow our step-by-step guide. Along with rooting the tablet, the tutorial installs latest version of ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Driver for Nexus 10 to transfer files between the Android device and the computer.
2) As the tutorial might wipe out all data of the tablet, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP installed then back up data using the recovery.
3) If the Android device powers off due to lack of battery during the process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Nexus 10 should have above 80% battery charge.
4) The SuperSU root file and the custom recoveries used in the tutorial are compatible with Nexus 10 running Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat. As applying this on any incorrect variant is likely to brick the device, verify the model number of Nexus 10 by navigating to Settings>> About tablet>> Model number.
5) Rooting the device will void it of its manufacturer's warranty. Users can reclaim the warranty by unrooting it later.
Steps to root Nexus 10 on Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat and install CWM Recovery
Step-2: Enable USB Debugging mode on Nexus 10
Step-3: Download Fastboot and extract it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory
Step-4: Download SuperSU v1.69 and copy it to the SD card of Nexus 10
File name: UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.69.zip
Step-5: Download recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-manta.img and copy it in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory
Step-6: Switch off the Nexus 10. Enter into Fastboot Mode by pressing Volume Down and Power buttons together until some text appears on the screen. This is Bootloader Mode
Step-7: Navigate to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and open Command Prompt
[Shift + Right Click>> to open Command Prompt]
Step-8: Type the following command and press Enter
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-touch-188.8.131.52-manta.img
Step-9: Choose RECOVERY from the Fastboot menu and enter Recovery Mode
Step-10: In recovery, scroll down to flash zip from sdcard and select it using the Power button. Then select choose zip from sdcard with the Power button
Step-11: Using the Volume keys navigate to UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.69.zip. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation on the next screen
Step-12: When the installation process is completed, go to +++++Go Back+++++ and reboot the tablet by selecting reboot system now from the recovery menu
The Nexus 10 should now be successfully rooted on Android 4.4 KRT16O KitKat with CWM recovery installed. Check for an app called SuperSU app. Download Root Checker app to verify the root status of the tablet.
[Source: Team Android]