The Nigerian Islamist group Boko Haram have raided a village in north-east Nigeria, killing 14 people, according to AFP.
The attack happened at Kambari village near the Nigerian town of Maiduguri, which has been subjected to a number of terror attacks in recent months.
A security source told AFP, "The terrorists attacked Kambari village which is less than 5km to Maiduguri around 5am. They killed 15 people and set the entire hamlet ablaze," the security source who requested anonymity said of the attack on Friday.
The anonymous security source suggested that Boko Haram's latest attack may have come out of frustration after the group struggled to enter Maiduguri via Konduga in Borno State.
The source said: "After fruitless efforts to enter Maiduguri through Konduga without success, the terrorists took a different route and attacked Kambari."
It is believed that at least four of the victims were children.
Boko Haram has become known for its brutal attacks on civilians and mass hostage taking, particularly in lawless parts of north-eastern Nigeria.
Led by the eccentric Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram is believed to have a network of bases deep inside the impenetrable Sambisa forest, close to the Cameroonian border.
Recently the extremist group released a video, promising to wage a regional war against Nigeria's neighbours, Niger, Cameroon and Chad, following the arrival of fresh Chadian troops to the Chadian-Nigerian border.
Earlier in the month, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan vowed to defeat Boko Haram ahead of elections next month.
President Jonathan said: "We will bring justice to the savage terrorists known as Boko Haram. They will be defeated. We will not forget. We will not look the other way."
Ahead of his campaign to be re-elected, President Jonathan promised the government would "act decisively" in order to prevent likely Boko Haram attacks during voting and electoral fraud.
"After the 2011 general elections, some unpatriotic elements embarked on an orgy of violence, resulting in the destruction of lives and property," he said. "That will not be allowed to happen this time around. This government will act decisively against anyone who disrupts the public peace, before, during or after the 2015 general elections.
"All Nigerians, of voting age, are free to vote based on their convictions. It is our duty to defend and protect that basic right, and let no one be in doubt, we will."