A freshly baked CyanogenMod 12.1 beta version is available for Xiaomi's Redmi 1S smartphone. Installing the unofficial ROM will update your Redmi device to the latest Android Lollipop version, 5.1.
Posted by XDA forum member jsevi83, the custom release is still in the testing phase and has some known Redmi 1S and CynogenMod issues. Check out the following installation guide if you want to check out the Lollipop custom ROM.
- ROM OS version: 5.1.x Lollipop
- ROM kernel: Linux 3.4.x
- Status: Testing
- Build date: 7 April
- Fix alarm during off mode charging
- Disable KSM by default (fixes camera for some users)
- Less aggressive thermal control for battery temp
- Update Wi-Fi files to fix suspend issue
- Update media codecs and profile
Xiaomi Redmi 1S known bugs
- Camera HDR mode doesn't seem to be working
- Alarm with device powered off and charging is not working (it works if not charging)
CyanogenMod 12.1 bugs
- Enabling LiveDisplay in Settings > Display causes lags
- Cannot move apps to sdcard
- Some other minor bugs
- Before following the installation guide, create a backup of all important data of the phone using custom recovery.
- Enable USB Debugging on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now enable USB Debugging Mode by navigating to Settings>> Developer Options.]
- Your Redmi 1S should have above 80% battery charge to avoid power off during the process which could damage the device.
- The phone should be rooted with the latest recovery system installed on it. Also, it should have an unlocked bootloader. [You can use any custom recovery. The following guide uses TWRP recovery.]
- As the CyanogenMod is an unofficial release, all the features might not function properly.
- The Android 5.1 CyanogenMod 12.1 works with Redmi 1S. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the device.
- After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache for a few times before rebooting the device.
- Once the ROM is installed, users are advised to give 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up for the first time for better user experience.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device.
How to update Redmi 1S to CyanogenMod 12.1 featuring Android 5.1 Lollipop
Step-1: Connect the phone to the computer via USB cable. Without extracting, copy the downloaded files to the internal storage of the phone and remember the location
Step-2: Disconnect the phone and boot into recovery mode
Step-3: Boot the phone into recovery by pressing the Volume Up and Power buttons together until the recovery menu appears
Step-4: In recovery mode, create a nandroid backup of the existing ROM, which can be restored later if the new ROM does not work or, if you want to revert to the current version. From recovery select Backup and do a swipe on the Swipe to Back Up button
Step-5: Perform data wiping task. Tap on Wipe then Advanced wipe, then select Cache, Dalvik/ART cache and Data. Now swipe on the Swipe to wipe option at the bottom of the screen
Step-6: Go back to recovery menu and select Install then navigate to the folder where you have saved CyanogenMod 12.1 ROM. Select it and do a swipe on Swipe to Confirm Flash
Step-7: Install the Gapps package using the same procedure as the one you used for flashing the ROM
Step-8: When the installation process is completed, go to recovery, select Reboot>> System
- To enable root access: Go to Settings > Developer options > Root access, and enable it for apps, adb or both.
- Set 3G only network mode: Open dialer, dial *#*#4636#*#* , open first option "Phone Information", there you can set your preferred network mode.
- Why the CPU minimum frequency is raising to 1190MHz: It is "touch boost", the CPU minimum frequency increases when you touch the screen to give a better response. When you don't touch the screen for a couple of seconds, the CPU minimum frequency goes back to 300MHz.