Rick And Morty season 2 ended on a rather sombre note with Rick showing that he does have a heart. He selflessly gives himself up to the galactic authorities in turn for a good life for his family.
The finale episode titled The Wedding Squanchers, opened with the Smith family attending the wedding of Rick's friend Birdperson and Tammy in Squanchy's planet. But things turn pretty ugly when Tammy reveals that she is a member of the Galactic Federation secret service and shoots Birdperson and every other criminal present at the wedding including the Smith family.
However, Rick is successful is fleeing the place with his family and takes shelter on another planet. But when he overhears his daughter and Morty refusing to turn him in to the authorities, Rick makes the selfless choice of turning himself in. The episode left us with Rick in a maximum security galactic prison, and an uncertain fate for planet Earth, which has now been taken over by the Galactic Federation.
Here are a few things to expect next in Rick And Morty
1. Return Date speculation: Adult Swim has released a post-credits sequence that aired immediately after the finale, which teases that the show will return after "a year and a half" time's gap.
Mr Poopy Butthole, who was shot by Beth in season 2's fourth episode, returns as he claims that he is still recovering from the wound. Butthole tells a pizza deliver boy in the promo video, "Hey what do you think of that finale? You think the Smith family will be okay? You think Rick is going to get out of jail? You think the family will rescue him?
The video ends with the funny character yelling, "Tune in to Rick and Morty season 3 in like a year and a half or longer to see how we unravel this mess."
2. Rick's fate: If Rick And Morty has taught us anything, it is that no matter how difficult or risky the situation is, Rick always has a crazy way to get out of everything. It is a safe assumption that the Galactic Federation prison won't be able to hold Rick for long, but this time he will have to face a bigger battle and destroy the whole Federation to free himself.
3. Smith family's fate on Earth run by Galactic Federation: Fans got a glimpse of the new earth run over by aliens in the season 2 finale. Mr Goldenfold is bullied by some aliens and Jerry has his first run-in with the Utopian work programmes of the newly federalised Earth. But how exactly the new Earth will affect the lives of Jerry, Morty, Summer and Beth will be revealed only in the third season. Also, expect a lot of troubles for the emotional teenager Morty, who does not have his crazy grandfather to take him off on his weird adventures.
4. Creator talks season 3 plans: The creators of Rick And Morty, Dan Harmon and Justin Roiland talk about the upcoming season's plans in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. Roiland said, "I've been jotting ideas down, yeah. Nothing super fleshed out, but there are definitely little seeds."
Co-creator Dan Harmon is excited to revisit stuff in season 3. "I rewatched both seasons a couple nights ago, and now I'm excited about revisiting stuff in season three because I was so phobic about revisiting stuff in season two.
5. Mr Meeseeks in season 3: Creator Dan Harmon promised an appearance from Mr Meeseeks in season 3. "I'm going to make that a personal promise to myself. I'm going to force Mr Meeseeks into season three."