Fulham left-back Ryan Sessegnon will be the number one transfer target for Tottenham if Danny Rose ends up leaving the club in the January transfer window, reports say.

Sky Sports claims Manchester United left-back Luke Shaw is Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino's second option should they fail to land Sessegnon.

Rose, 27, faces an uncertain future at Spurs after he was was left out of the matchday squads for the derby defeat against Arsenal and the home draw against West Brom on 25 November.

The England international said he was "fuming" after being left out of the club's 2-0 defeat against the Gunners earlier this month, but insisted that he had not fallen out with Pochettino over the decision.

The defender criticised Tottenham's lack of ambition in the transfer market and said he was open to offers elsewhere in a candid interview with the Sun in August, with the club fining him two weeks' wages for the outburst.

Ben Davies has been preferred by Pochettino at left-back despite Rose returning to fitness from a knee injury last month.

"There was no argument, no bust-up. I was fuming, yes, but it should be obvious any player should be unhappy that they're not involved in the biggest game of the season," Rose was quoted as saying by Sky Sports when asked about being dropped for the north London derby.

"There was no falling out or bust-up. I trained on Saturday and it looked like the right decision from the manager."

Manchester United have been heavily linked with a £40m ($53m) move for Rose in the January transfer window, with Shaw potentially moving to Spurs as a makeweight.

Sessegnon, 17, signed his first professional contract with Fulham in June, with United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs all reported to be monitoring his progress.

Tottenham have made multiple approaches to Fulham to enquire about the availability of the young defender over the past 18 months, Sky Sports claims.