Samsung has released Android 4.4.2 KitKat software update for its camera smartphone, Galaxy S4 Zoom, which packs a 16 megapixel rear snapper.
Currently, the update is available for users in Russia with build number C101XXUBNF4, which bumps the Android version of the device to 4.4.2 from 4.2.2 Jelly Bean.
The latest stock build is expected to add all the KitKat features such as faster performance, redesigned status bar, wireless printing support, full screen album art and a camera shortcut on lockscreen and a few updated apps. Below are the firmware details for C101XXUBNF4 build.
Model name: Galaxy S4 Zoom
Version: Android 4.4.2 KitKat
Build date: 17 June 2014
Product Code: SER
Like always, this is a phased roll-out and is expected to hit all other regions in the coming weeks. Interested users who wish to get their hands on the latest stock firmware, may follow the step-by-step guide to flash C101XXUBNF4 Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S4 Zoom using Odin flashing tool.
As the C101XXUBNF4 build is an unbranded version of firmware, it can be installed on any SM-C101 unit irrespective of region and country.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before flashing the stock firmware, ensure the Galaxy S4 Zoom meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom to connect the Android device with the computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> Developer Options and check USB Debugging Mode.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then backup data using the same.
4) If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery while the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S4 Zoom should have above 80% battery charge.
5) The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
6) The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
7) The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of stock firmware.
8) C101XXUBNF4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat official firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom SM-C101. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of S4 Zoom by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
How to install C101XXUBNF4 Android 4.4.2 KitKat on Galaxy S4 Zoom SM-C101
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with few other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy S4 Zoom
Step-4: Reboot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Note: Ensure that you have installed Galaxy S4 Zoom USB Drivers installed on the computer.
Step-5: Run Odinas Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the S4 Zoom to computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: Click Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Double check everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: Upon the completion of installation process, the phone will restart. When the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
The Galaxy S4 Zoom should now be update with new C101XXUBNF4 Android 4.4.2 stock firmware. Browse to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software version.