The British Government has set aside funds of £36m to help pay for the security and clearance of the so called Calais "Jungle" migrant camp. Home Secretary Amber Rudd gave a statement to the House of Commons on Monday (25 October) outlining the government's plans.
"While responsibility for Calais lies with the French government, the juxtaposed controls are a vital part of the UK's border security and a valuable economic link," she said.
"That's why the UK Government will be contributing up to £36m to maintain the security of these controls, to support the camp clearance and to ensure in the long-term that the camp is kept closed."
This money includes £14m on security at the port, according to a Guardian report.
Rudd pledged to take more children into the UK from Calais in the future, saying that under-12s would be given priority. They would also take in those with a high risk of sexual exploitation and also those with a strong chance of being given refugee status in Britain.
The Home Secretary also warned that it was important to "keep our borders secure, to tackle the criminal gangs that profit from the lives of the vulnerable and to ensure those in the camp in need of protection are moved to places of safety".
Diane Abbott, the shadow home secretary attacked the Tory Government's stance on the refugee crisis. "We refused for far too long to go into the camp and identify those who might have a legal right to come to the UK."
She also said the dismantling of the camp should have been put off until the safety of child refugees could be ensured.
Rudd has asked local authorities to volunteer to take more children under the Dubs amendment. But 38 councils out of 156 in England have so far refused to take part in resettling those who have arrived.
Andy Elvin, chief executive of Tact, a fostering and adoption charity, told the Independent: "It's embarrassing for a developed nation not to have managed this more professionally. We're not even talking about a massive number of children."