Suruc massacre
Demonstrators hold a minute of silence for the victims during a protest against the bomb attack in the border town of Suruc, in central Istanbul, Reuters

Turkish authorities have identified the alleged Islamic State (Isis) bomber who was smuggled into the country from across the Syrian border to blow himself up, killing at least 31 people in Kurdish border town Suruc.

Turkish prime minister Ahmet Davutoglu said that initial findings "point to a suicide bomber and Daesh", using the Arabic acronym for the Islamic State, and said the suspect "has been identified".

He refused to release more information before the final inquiry but confirmed that the suspect's links are being investigated.

The jihadist targeted a cultural centre in the town of Suruc where 300 young members of the Federation of Socialist Youth Associations (SGDF) were present for a summer expedition to help rebuild Kobane, which was left ravaged by months of fighting between Kurdish fighters and IS militants.

Earlier this year, the country's general directorate of security had warned that three female jihadists - Fadime Kurt, Ozlem Yilmaz and Nuray Demirel - could carry out suicide attacks in Turkey according to Hurriyet news. A handout picture of Yilmaz was also given to provincial authorities with a "possible attack" briefing.

However, it is not clear whether the Suruc suicide bomber was one of them.

The National intelligence organisation (MIT) also warned security forces about possible attacks by IS on Turkish soil on two occasions - 22 June and 3 July. Following the reports, Turkish police detained dozens of people in anti-IS raids across several cities, but this seemingly failed to prevent the massacre. Officials have also tightened borders to try to stop the influx of foreign fighters.

If confirmed, the report could cause more criticism of the ruling AK Party of prime minister Davutoglu, which has been accused of tolerating or even supporting the Islamic State.

No long before the explosion, the Federation of Socialist Youth Associations posted a picture of smiling youth workers gathered around a long table in the centre's garden on Twitter.

The account later tweeted photos of numerous severely burnt bodies scattered across the same garden, some covered by newspapers.

The moment of the blast was also captured on camera, with online footage showing a group of activists shouting slogans and holding banners before being wiped out by a massive explosion.

Distraught onlookers and survivors could be heard crying for help in another online clip showing the aftermath of the attack.