Former Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar will make a return to the Mixed Martial Arts format with a fight scheduled at UFC 200 in Las Vegas next month. Lesnar is one of the biggest stars in UFC history, setting records during his eight pay-per-view fights in the UFC.
The 38-year-old's return was announced in a promotional video for UFC 200, but as of now there is no news about his opponent in the Octagon on 9 July. The World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) though has issued a statement which has confirmed that Lesnar's return to the UFC is a "one-off opportunity".
"Brock Lesnar remains under contract to WWE, however he has been granted a one-off opportunity to compete at UFC 200. Following the milestone event on 9 July, Brock will return to WWE for SummerSlam on Sunday, August 21, live on WWE Network," the statement reads.
The 38-year-old was arguably UFCs biggest draw during his four-year run in the Octagon. He won the heavyweight title in his fourth fight after defeating Randy Couture and then defended his belt against Frank Mir at UFC in 2009. The final years of Lesnar's MMA career were seriously hampered by diverticulitis that eventually required surgery. His final two fights were also very disappointing, losing his belt to Cain Velasquez, following which he suffered a second straight loss to Alistair Overeem.
The American announced his retirement from MMA in 2012 and then eventually returned to WWE, where he is again one of the biggest names for the brand.
The fixtures for UFC 200 is as follows:
1) Daniel Cormier vs Jon Jones- Light Heavyweight title-unification clash
2) Brock Lesnar vs TBA
3) Jose Aldo vs Frankie Edgar- Interim Featherweight title
4) Miesha Tate vs Amand Nunes- Women's bantamweight title
5) Travis Browne vs Cain Velasquez
6) Kelvin Gastelum vs Johny Hendricks
7) Derek Brunson vs Gegard Mousasi
8) Joe Lauzon vs Diego Sanchez
9) Enrique Marin vs Sage Northcutt
10) Takanori Gomi vs Jim Miller
11) Julianna Pena vs Cat Zingano
12) Raphael Assuncao vs T.J Dillashaw