While the latest Kitkat software is gradually making way for several Galaxy devices, the Galaxy S3 has recently received a new Android 4.3 Jelly Bean firmware with build number I9300XXUGNH4. The update is currently rolling out to a number of European countries via OTA and through the Samsung Kies server.
Model name: Galaxy S3
Version: Android 4.3
Build date: 18 August
Product code: AUT
Those who do not stay in the firmware supported regions and wish to install I9300XXUGNH4 Android 4.3 on Galaxy S3, may follow the manual installation guide which uses the Odin flashing tool.
As I9300XXUGNH4 build is an unbranded version of firmware it can be installed on any unlock GT-I9300 unit.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before flashing the stock firmware users are advised to verify their devices meet the following requirements.
- Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect the Android device with the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Navigate to Settings>> About phone. Tap on Build Number several times until a message appears saying 'You are now a Developer.' Now go to Settings>> Developer Options to enable USB Debugging Mode.]
- As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the device has any custom recoveries such as CWM/TWRP then back up data using the same.
- If the Android phone powers off due to lack of battery during the installation process, it could damage the device. Therefore, the Galaxy S3 should have above 80% battery charge.
- The device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
- The phone will lose custom ROM with the installation of official firmware. Also, the custom recovery will be replaced by the stock version.
- The device will no longer belong to a rooted version with the installation of official firmware.
- I9300XXUGNH4 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean stock firmware works only with Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of Galaxy S3 by navigating to Settings>> About device>> Model number.
I9300XXUGNH4 [Courtesy of Samsung Updates]
How to install I9300XXUGNH4 Android 4.3 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300)
Step-1: Extract the downloaded firmware zip using any extracting tool to get a .tar.md5 file with a few other files, which are optional
Step-2: Extract the Odin zip to get Odin3 v.3.09.exe with a few other files
Step-3: Switch off Galaxy S3
Step-4: Boot the phone into Download Mode by pressing and holding the Home, Power and Volume Down buttons together
Note: Ensure that you have installed Galaxy S3 USB Drivers installed on the computer.
Step-5: Run Odin as Administrator on the computer
Step-6: Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable while it is in Download mode. Wait for some time until Odin detects the device. When the phone is connected successfully, the ID: COM box in Odin will turn light blue with the COM port number. This step might take some time
Step-7: In Odin, click AP button and select the firmware file with .tar.md5 extension
Step-8: Enable Auto Reboot and F.Reset Time checkboxes in Odin. Ensure Re-Partition checkbox is not checked
Step-9: Verify everything and click the Start button in Odin. The installation process should begin now and take a few minutes to complete
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, the phone will restart automatically. Once the home screen appears on the phone, disconnect the phone from the computer
I9300XXUGNH4 Android 4.3 stock update should now be running on Galaxy S3 I9300. Head over to Settings>> About phone to verify the new software of the device.