West Ham co-chairman David Sullivan has revealed the Hammers are very close to completing the signing of a proven striker. The club chief also confirmed negotiations to sign a top player from a Premier League rival and a left-back to fill the gap left by the long-term injury of Aaron Creswell.
West Ham have already made five signings during the current transfer window, in the shape of Havard Nordtveit, Sofiane Feghouli, Gokhan Tore and two additions for the future, Manchester United academy product Ashley Fletcher and Spaniard Toni Martinez. Yet, However, they are yet to confirm a new number nine despite Slaven Bilic earmarking it as a top priority for the mercato.
New Chelsea signing Michy Batshuayi, Liverpool's Christian Benteke, Arsenal target Alexandre Lacazette and the much-sought Carlos Bacca are some of the names linked with the club in recent weeks, but the East Londoners have so far failed to complete the addition of any of them.
Sullivan has now claimed that the hunt may be over in a matter of days, as the Hammers are "very close" to signing a proven goalscorer.
"We are very close to bringing in a very promising striker who has scored goals regularly in his career in competitive leagues. He will need time to settle, like every new player, but we are confident he will add a lot to the squad," Sullivan said to the club's official website.
The joint chairman also revealed the Hammers are trying to sign a forward from a Premier League rival, but negotiations are still ongoing.
"We are also talking to another Premier League club about a top-class international forward, but the discussions over financial terms still have some way to go," he added.
West Ham have been also forced to enter the market to for a left-back after Creswell suffered a serious knee injury in pre-season that could keep him side-lined for up to four months. Free agent Jose Enrique, Andrew Robertson and Norwich City duo Martin Olsson and Robbie Brady have been some of the names linked with the club, and Sullivan revealed they have already had an £8m bid rejected for one of their targets.
"With Aaron unfortunately out for a few weeks, we have lodged bids in for a left-back, one of which was an £8m bid that was turned down on Thursday," he said. "We will now decide whether or not we increase that bid."