Google's Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS update has finally been released for users of Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy Note Edge smartphones in the US.
Samsung's Galaxy Note Edge was released in January 2015, running Android 4.4.4 (KitKat) out of the box.
Announcing the rollout of Android Lollipop, Verizon states that its Galaxy note Edge users can verify the new software build bearing version number LRX22C.N915VVRU2BOF2, via OTA.
The wireless carrier also hints at the latest Lollipop rollout being a phased one, hence it should take some time before all Galaxy Note Edge users are covered.
New enhancements offered by Android Lollipop
Galaxy Note Edge users can check out for new enhancements, after installing Android Lollipop, such as:
- Material Design: Material Design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
- Battery Saver: A battery saver feature that extends device use by up to 90 minutes.
- 'OK Google' voice command: Talk to Google on the go to get quick answers, send a text, get directions and more.
- Connectivity: Improved network selection logic so that your device connects only if there is a verified internet connection on Wi-Fi.
- Security: SELinux enforcing for all applications means even better protection against vulnerabilities and malware. Use Android Smart Lock to secure your phone or tablet by pairing it with a trusted device like your wearable or even your car.
Manual download of Android Lollipop to Verizon-driven Galaxy Note Edge
Apart from via automatic OTA notifications, the Android Lollipop OS update can also be searched for manually and then downloaded. Manual searches are initiated in the following way:
- From the Home screen, tap the Menu Key > Settings > About Phone > Software Updates >Check for Updates
- Select Download Now
- When download is complete, a screen appears indicating that the new version of software is ready to be installed. Tap Install Now
- Your Verizon-driven Samsung Galaxy Note Edge will automatically power off and power back on
- A new on-screen menu appears stating that the installation has been completed. Tap OK