Google's more recent Android 5.1 (Lollipop) OS update is now confirmed to hit HTC One (M9) smartphones in the US
Confirming the rollout of Android 5.1, Mo Versi, vice-president at HTC's product management division, stated that the Taiwan-based company has completed technical testing and approval formalities to seed the new firmware to HTC One M9 users in the US.
Mo Versi also stated that Google's newer Lollipop will begin the rollout to HTC One (M9) devices connected to AT&T from 15 July and to T-Mobile wireless networks in the US from 20 July.
This means that users of HTC's One (M9) handsets, who have subscribed to AT&T and T-Mobile's wireless network services, can check out for newer OTA notifications representing Android 5.1 on a regular basis.
Newer enhancements offered by Android 5.1
The newer Google Android 5.1 is basically a bug-fixing firmware upgrade, and addresses inherent issues with the older Android 5.0 (Lollipop) operating platform.
Currently, HTC One (M9) smartphones run Android 5.0 (Lollipop), out of the box.
Android 5.1 fixes inherent issues within Android 5.0, affecting HTC One (M9) users. These issues are:
- Clock in the status bar is not updating and alarms not going off
- Unable to delete SMS messages when the SIM card is full
- No ringer audio while making an outgoing call
- Calculator floating point calculations
- Chrome crashes when launched
- Frequent restarts while watching Netflix
- Wi-Fi not automatically reconnecting to home Wi-Fi
- Wi-Fi not connecting after being idle all night
- Wi-Fi connection issues with multiple routers in one location
- Bluetooth discovery is not triggered when you refresh settings
- CPU wakelocks that contribute to heavier battery drain
- Connection and synchronisation issues with MS Exchange servers
- Incorrect default APN
- Cannot unlock the SIM with a PIN/PUK code
- Cannot play 'pinned' content.
Key technical specifications of HTC One (M9)
HTC's One (M9) is a high-end smartphone that comes with key technical specifications such as:
- 5in display protected by Gorilla Glass 4
- Android 5.0 (Lollipop) OS with HTC Sense 7 UI on top
- 20.7MP primary camera
- 4MP secondary camera
- 3GB RAM
- 32GB internal storage
- MicroSD card slot for expansion of internal storage up to 32GB
- 4G LTE, HSPA, Bluetooth 4.0, Wi-Fi and microUSB connectivity
- Fixed 2840 mAh Lithium-Polymer battery with claimed talktime of up to 21 hours on 3G.