The much expected Android 5.0.1 (Lollipop) OS update is now finally available for users of LG G3 in the US.
Announcing the Android Lollipop OS update rollout officially, T-Mobile states that users of its G3 high-end smartphones can prefer to download the latest firmware manually via the LG Mobile Support Tool, rather than wait for newer OTA update notifications.
Earlier, an official T-Mobile listing had clearly given indications about an imminent Lollipop rollout, for users of LG G3 as well as the LG G2 in the US.
Now, users of T-Mobile-driven LG G3 in the US can obtain (via LG Mobile Support Tool) and try out the Android Lollipop OS update.
What's new with Android Lollipop and how to download via LG Mobile Support Tool?
LG G3's T-Mobile subscribers can check out for the following newer enhancements:
- Material Design: Material design offers fluid animations, vivid coloured themes and 3D-Views.
- Improved Lockscreen: Shortcuts for both Phone and Camera are provided, along with Material Design-inspired notifications.
- Touchwiz: Brighter look and feel, bold colours, fluid animation inspired by Material Design.
- Floating Action Button: Floating action buttons provide easy access to the app's most important features, such as adding a new contact or favourite, or composing a text message.
- Interruptions: Priority notifications such as events and reminders, phone calls, and messages can be set up to sound or vibrate while all other notifications are muted.
- Recents: Easy access to your Chrome tabs right from the Recent apps page. Multi-window icons for ease of use during multi-tasking.
Installation of Android Lollipop via LG Mobile Support Tool:
To obtain Android Lollipop via LG Mobile Support Tool, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Manually download the LG Mobile Support Tool, onto your PCs, post which the tool needs to be launched.
- Link your LG G3 smartphone, to the PC
- Select Start Upgrade within the LG Mobile Support Tool program, to initiate download of Android Lollipop OS update.
- The smartphone will automatically complete download and installation of new firmware update. However users are advised to note the conditions given below:
- During updation (of Android Lollipop), the device will automatically power off and slip into customised download mode after 5% of software update is completed.
- After 95% of update completion, the smartphone will power on.
- If update discontinues abruptly, do not exit the LG Mobile Support Tool, instead try updating once again.
- After update is installed, notifications are issued. Tap Exit to return to main menu.
- Your LG G3 will now power back on and reconnect to LG Mobile Support Tool. At this point, verify the new software bearing version number D85120b and build number LRX21Y.
- You can now disconnect the USB cable from the computer.
With Android Lollipop having reached LG G3 users in US via the customised Mobile Support Tool, it should not be long before the new firmware starts rolling out via OTA.
Prior to the latest rollout, LG G3 ran the now legacy Android 4.4.2 (KitKat), out of the box.