New York City and the family of Eric Garner reached a settlement on 13 July to resolve the claim over his death by NYPD last year on Staten Island, the family's lawyer announced. The city agreed to pay the family $5.9m (£3.8m). Previous reports stated Garner's widow had rejected a settlement offer of $5m.

According to the New York Times, the agreement was reached just days before the deadline to file a lawsuit in the death was reached. It is reportedly part of an effort by New York City comptroller Scott C Stringer to settle major civil rights claims before lawsuits are filed.

The settlement was announced by Garner's family lawyer, Jonathan C Moore, who had warned that the city had until 17 July to come to an agreement. If an agreement was not made by the anniversary of the death, a lawsuit would be filed.

"The City of New York has agreed to pay $5.9 million to resolve the Garner case," Moore told reporters.

Garner's family, including widow Esaw Garner and mother Gwen Carr, filed a notice of claim last year seeking $75 million in damages, the Times reported. The father of six died on 17 July 2014 when police officer Daniel Pantaleo placed him in a chokehold as he arrested him for allegedly selling untaxed cigarettes.

His death, which followed the shooting of Ferguson, Missouri teen Michael Brown, sparked protests against police brutality. Garner's last words: "I can't breathe," would become a rallying call during protests, the Times reported. Despite the death being ruled a homicide by the medical examiner, a Staten Island grand jury decided not to indict Pantaleo for Garner's death.

Several inquiries into Garner's death remain, including investigations by the US attorney for the Eastern District of New York, the Civilian Complaint Review Board and state health officials, the Times reported. While the police department concluded its internal investigation, it has not decided if any officers would be disciplined.

Garner's family is expected to lead a rally with Reverend Al Sharpton's National Action Network on 18 July in Brooklyn. The rally will be held outside the offices of the US attorney to call for a federal case against the officers involved in Garner's death.

Before the settlement's announcement, the NY Daily News reported that Garner's family had rejected a $5m settlement from the city. According to a source quoted by the Daily News, Moore urged the family to accept the settlement and later seek additional money in a separate lawsuit against emergency medical technicians from Richmond University Medical Center.

However, that was not confirmed by the Garner family lawyer.