Galaxy Note 10.1 (E230S) owners are in for a pleasant surprise, as Samsung has started rolling out the final KitKat build of Android 4.4.4 firmware for the 10in tablet in South Korea and China.
The update will be available for both Wi-Fi and 3G models (SHW-M480W and SHW-M480K) via OTA in South Korea, while in China it will be limited to just the LTE model (SHW-E320S).
Though the update does not bring any new major features, it does add up various security patches and bug-fixes.
As the update is being rolled out in phases, it may not yet be available for download in your region or country. However, if you cannot wait for its official release you could still download and install the same manually, using the step-by-step guide below.
Android 4.4.4 Firmware Details for Galaxy Note 10.1
- Model: SHV-E230S
- Model name: GALAXY Note 10.1
- Country: South Korea
- Version: Android 4.4.4
- Changelist: 2842687
- Build date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 01:00:23 +0000
- Product Code: SKT
- PDA: E230SKSUKNI6
- CSC: E230SSKTKNI6
- MODEM: E230SKSUKNI5
As this is an unbranded firmware, it can be installed on any unlocked international variant of Galaxy Note 10.1 E230S, regardless of the country or region. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
1. Install necessary USB Drivers for Galaxy Note 10.1 (SHV-E230S) on the computer.
2. Enable USB Debugging Mode on the note E230S by navigating to Settings >> Developer Options.
3. Back up important user data and settings before you proceed.
4. Ensure your Galaxy Note 10.1 has at least 80% battery charge.
5. The Android 4.4.4 E230SKSUKNI6 KitKat firmware is compatible only with the 3G + Wi-Fi version of Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (SHV-E230S). Installing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Verify the model number of your Galaxy Note 10.1 by navigating to Settings >> About Phone.
Steps to Update Galaxy Note 10.1 with Android 4.4.4 E230SKSUKNI6 KitKat Firmware
Step 1: Extract Firmware zip file using WinRAR, 7-Zip or WinZip extracting tool to obtain a .tar.md5 file and some other optional files.
Step 2: Extract Odin zip file to get Odin3 v3.07.exe along with a few other files.
Step 3: Power off the Galaxy Note 10.1.
Step 4: Boot the device into Download Mode as follows: press and hold Volume Down and Power buttons together until a construction Android robot icon with a warning triangle appears on screen. Then hit Volume Up button to progress into Download Mode.
Step 5: Launch Odin on computer as an Administrator.
Step 6: Connect the Galaxy Note 10.1 to computer via USB cable while it is still in Download Mode. Wait until Odin recognises the device and then the ID: COM box will turn to light blue with the corresponding COM port number. If the connection was successful, a message saying "Added!" will appear on screen.
Step 7: Select the following files in Odin from extracted E230SKSUKNI6 firmware folder:
- Click the PDA button and select the .tar.md5 file.
- Tap the Phone button and choose file with MODEM in its name.
- Hit the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name.
- Tap the PIT button and choose the .pit file. Note: Ignore the last three steps if the files are missing.
Step 8: In Odin, enable Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options. But, the Re-Partition option must be checked only if a .pit file was chosen in the previous step.
Step 9: Verify Steps 7 and 8 are done correctly. Then tap Start button to begin the installation process.
Step 10: After the installation process completes, your Galaxy Note will restart and soon a PASS message with green background appears in the top left-most box in Odin. You can now disconnect the USB cable and remove the device from the computer.
Galaxy Note 10.1 is now updated with Android 4.4.4 E230SKSUKNI6 KitKat official firmware. Head over to Settings >> About tablet to verify the software version running on the device.
Note: If Galaxy Note 10.1 E230S is stuck at boot animation after Step 10, go to recovery mode (press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together) and perform Wipe data/Factory Reset and Wipe Cache Partition task before selecting reboot system now function. In recovery mode use Volume keys to navigate between options and Power key to select the desired option. Please note that performing wiping task will erase your device's internal memory and not external SD card data.