Followed by the first Release Candidate (RC1) build of CyanogenMod 10.1.0 (CM10.1.0), the CyanogenMod team has now rolled out the RC2 version for the Samsung Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100G. The Release candidate builds are said to be the most stable version and can be installed for daily use.
The CM10.1.0 RC2 custom ROM upgrades the Galaxy S2 from Android 4.1.2 to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean. Besides, it bundles a host of new features for the handset. Head over to the development page to learn more about the latest custom release.
Galaxy S2 users, who are looking to update their devices to Android 4.2.2 with CM10.1.0 RC2, may follow our step-by-step guide.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Before installing the RC2 build, users are advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe all data of the phone, create a backup for the same. If the device is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery installed. Follow the guide here to root and install CWM recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G.
6) The CM10.1 RC1 build works only on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. Flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device. Therefore, verify the model number of Galaxy S2 by navigating to Settings>> About phone.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experience boot loop then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
Steps to install CM10.1.0 RC2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean build on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G
Step-2: Download the Google Apps package
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable and copy both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. But do not extract any files
Step-4: Unplug the USB cable from the phone and turn it off
Step-5: Now boot the device into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the screen of the phone flashes. The device will be in recovery mode soon
Note: In recovery mode, use Volume keys to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: Now perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to pervious firmware. Select Backup and Restore then on the next screen select Backup again. When the action is completed, go back to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Perform data wiping task to avoid clash between the new and previous ROM. Select wipe data/factory reset then on the next screen select Yes to confirm the action. Return to the recovery menu and select wipe cache partition then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under advance option. When the action is done, go back to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard then select choose zip from sdcard. Now browse to the CM10.1.0 RC2 ROM zip file which was earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Press the Power button to select it and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM installation will begin now
Step-9: Once the ROM is installed, repeat the same procedure (step-8) but this time choose Google apps package to install the same
Step-10: When the installation process is completed, return to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The device will reboot now and boot up into the customised CM10.1.0 RC2 ROM. The device will take about five minutes to boot up for the first time
As the Samsung Galaxy S2 boots up successfully, it should be updated with CM10.1.0 RC2 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the software version running on the device.
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the Galaxy S2 into recovery mode and select Backup and Restore then restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
Click here for guide to install Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with AvatarROM 2.15b.
[Source: Android Geeks]