The SlimROMs team recently announced the availability of the new custom firmware, SlimBean Build 5.7, for several Android powered devices including the Samsung Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100G.
The SlimBean Build 5.7 is based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and integrates a host of unique customised features. Additionally, it addresses the bug issues spotted in the previous release.
SlimBean Build 5.7 features
Fixed GlowPad not centered on tablets
Enhance Easy Selector in MMS
Option to always force Enter key in keyboard
Added DeskClock support for xxhdpi devices
Add 1392 x 1392 res in Camera [SGS3]
Fixed SlimSizer deletion freezing UI
Fixed TRDS Multi-select in multiple apps
Fixed camera settings duplication in landscape
Fixed Camera sound toggle [regression]
Fixed Media control logic [regression]
Fixed no back/up icon in APN settings
Added support for DCHSPAP
Fixed some more mem-leaks and null pointers
Added some optimisations to core framework
Device specific features
I9100: Enable UMS in recovery
I9100G: Enable Exposure settings on front camera
I9100G: Update kernel to 3.0.79
I9100G: Fixed recovery backup issues
I9300: Shiny new kernel
N7100/I9300: Updated kernel to 3.0.79
Head over to source page to learn more about the features of new SlimBean build.
Galaxy S2 users who are looking to update their devices to Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean using SlimBean Build 5.7 may follow our step-by-step guide. However, users may come across minor bug issues with the installation since since the custom ROM is still under development stage.
IBTimes UK reminds its readers that it will not be held responsible for any mishap. Users are also advised to verify that their devices meet following requirements.
1) Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 to transfer files between the Android device and computer.
2) Enable USB Debugging Mode on the phone to connect it with the computer and use Android SDK with it. [Press Menu>> Settings>> Applications. From there navigate and click on Development option and ensure the USB Debugging Mode is turned on.]
3) As the tutorial is likely to wipe out all data of the phone, create a backup. If the handset is having any custom recoveries such as ClockworkMod/TWRP already installed then backup data using the recovery.
4) The Galaxy S2 should have above 80 per cent of battery charge.
5) The phone should be rooted and have ClockworkMod (CWM) recovery already installed. Click here for step-by-step guide to root Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and install CWM recovery.
6) The SlimBean Build 5.7 works only on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. As flashing this on any incorrect variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
7) After flashing the ROM if the device gets stuck on Booting animation or experiences boot loop, then perform wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache five more times and then reboot the device.
8) Users are advised to give five to 10 minutes to the ROM after the device boots up first time to settle everything for a better user experience.
Steps to install SlimBean Build 5.7 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G
Step-1: Download SlimBean Build 5.7 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean ROM for Samsung Galaxy S2 to the computer
Step-2: Download Google Apps package [SlimBean Gapps]
Step-3: Connect the Galaxy S2 to the computer using USB cable. Then transfer both the downloaded zip files to the SD card of the phone. Do not extract any file
Step-4: Disconnect the phone from the computer and turn it off. Wait for about five to six seconds to complete the power down cycle
Step-5: Boot the phone into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together until the Samsung logo appears on the screen then release all three buttons for a second and hold them again. The CWM recovery mode will appear soon
Note: In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to scroll between options and Power button to select the desired option.
Step-6: Once the device is in recovery mode, perform a Nandroid backup of the existing ROM which can be restored later in case the new ROM does not work or users wish to go back to the previous firmware. To perform Nandroid backup select Backup and Restore, and on the next screen select Backup again. When the backup process is done, go back to the main recovery menu
Step-7: Perform data wiping task to eliminate clash between the new ROM and the previous ROM. Select wipe data/ factory reset, and then select Yes on the next screen to confirm the action. Wait for a few minutes until the data wiping process is completed; then go back to the CWM recovery menu. Select wipe cache partition and then select Wipe Dalvik Cache under the advance option to perform Dalvik cache wiping. Once the action is completed, return to the recovery menu
Step-8: Select install zip from sdcard and then select choose zip from sdcard. Now locate the SlimBean ROM zip earlier copied to the SD card of the phone. Select it by pressing the Power button and confirm installation by selecting Yes on the next screen. The ROM installation should now begin.
Step-9: After the ROM is installed, follow the same procedure (step-8) but now choose the SlimBean Gapps to install the Google apps package
Step-10: Once the installation process is completed, go back to the main recovery menu and reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. The device will reboot now and boot up into the customised SlimBean build. The device will take about five minutes to boot up the first time
SlimBean Build 5.7 based on Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean should now be installed and running on Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100G. Head over to Settings>> About Phone to verify the new software version of the device.
Note: To go back to the previous ROM, boot the phone into recovery, select Backup and Restore, and restore the ROM by selecting it from the list.
Click here for guide to install CM10.1.0 RC5 Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G.
[Source: Droid Noobs]