Mario's first mobile game is arriving on iOS devices. From 15 December Nintendo fans will be able to download a free version of Super Mario Run and, if they choose, upgrade to the complete version for £7.99.
Nintendo has been open about there being two versions of the game since its shock announcement in September, but they have only now revealed the extent of what's included in the paid-for premium game and what's available from it for those with the free version.
The full game consists of three modes. In World Tour players take on six worlds comprised of three levels and a boss level, each with slight variations in where players will find special coins.
In Toad Rally players challenge the scores of other players to win coins through collecting them, and coloured Toads through impressing them with stylish play. These coins and Toads are then used to purchase and unlock items to help build the players own kingdom in Mushroom Kingdom.
Everyone will be able to get the free mode from the App Store, and will then be able to purchase the full game should they wish, from the very obvious markers.
Here's what to expect:
What's in the premium version of Super Mario Run
- The three modes: base platforming mode World Tour, competitive score-attack mode Toad Rally and self-explanatory mode Kingdom Builder.
- World Tour and Toad Rally will be based on 24 levels split between six worlds. Each level has three slight variants.
What's in the free version of Super Mario Run
- Access to the first three levels of World 1 (1-1, 1-2 and 1-3), followed by 20 second trial of World 1's boss level.
- Toad Rally can be sampled with only a handful of layouts taken from World 1 of World Tour. The mode is also limited by the Toad Rally tickets needed to challenge other players, which are usually found through other modes of play.
- Access to Mushroom Kingdom is restricted by the in-game currencies (specifically Toads) that players can acquire through other modes of play. In the free version only the base red Toads can be collected from Toad Rally.