A one-click root method is available for ZenFone 5 to help advanced users who are looking for a guide to gain root access after the Android Lollipop upgrade which Asus released recently with software version 188.8.131.52.
This root requires nothing but a click on the keyboard that will start the process. But note that you should have T00F and T00J WW variants of ZenFone 5 which are compatible with this tool. Check out the following step-by-step guide to root ZenFone 5.
- The following root method is applicable for ZenFone 5 T00F/T00J WW models only. Do not use this on any other device.
- Ensure that you have created a backup of all the data of your phone, as the root method is likely to wipe out everything.
- Note that rooting the device will void the manufacturer's warranty.
- The battery of the phone should have at least 80% charge, to avoid any sudden shut down due to lack of power, which could damage the device.
- IBTimes UK will not be held liable for any damage to the device during the process. Proceed at your own risk.
How to root Asus ZenFone 5 on Android Lollipop
Step-1: Download root file for ZenFone 5
Download link: ZenFoneRootKit_20150528.zip
Step-2: Extract the root package on your PC using a tool like 7-zip
Step-3: Install ADB drivers on the PC
Step-4: Enable USB debugging on the phone
- Go to Settings>> About phone>> Software information and tap on build number seven times
- Go to Settings then Developer options, from there enable the USB debugging
Step-5: Connect the ZenFone to the PC using a USB cable. You should get a pop-up saying Allow USB debugging on the phone. Tick the check box that says Always allow for this computer and press OK
Step-6: With the phone connected to the PC, run the Root.bat file. Just double click on the file to run it. For Linux and Mac, run root.sh file
Step-7: Your phone will now reboot into fastboot mode automatically and then start flashing the root files. Once the process is completed, the phone will reboot automatically
You can confirm the root access on your phone by downloading the root checker app from the Play Store. Just open the app and tap on Verify Root and grant root access.
More about Asus ZenFones