Indonesia Jakarta bomb blasts
Police investigate the scene of an explosion at a bus station in Kampung Melayu, East Jakarta Antara Foto Agency/Reuters

Indonesian authorities fear more terror attacks could be imminent in the country after the Islamic State (Isis) claimed responsibility for Jakarta bus station twin blasts, which killed three policemen on Wednesday, 24 May. The extremist group said the two bombers, identified Solihin and Nurul Salam, were operating under its instructions.

The explosions rocked a bus station in East Jakarta leaving at least 12 people wounded in what is thought to be the second Isis-claimed attack on Indonesian soil. This was also the deadliest attack in the country since January 2016, when a coordinated suicide bombing and gunfight took place in the capital killing eight people.

Claiming responsibility for the latest bombings, the Isis-run Amaq news agency carried a brief assertion reading: "The executor of the attack on the Indonesian police gathering in Jakarta was an Islamic State fighter." No other details about the attackers were made available.

The killed police officers were providing security for a parade marking to welcome the fasting month of Ramadan. While the first detonation occurred outside a public toilet, the second blast happened in bus shelter within minutes.

Indonesian police have also taken family members – suspect's wife and two children – of one of the suspected suicide bombers into custody. Local news reports say the security personnel confiscated arms and religious books during the raid.

Forensic experts are carrying out the post-mortem of the alleged bombers' bodies to look for more clues. "I can't confirm how many bodies we have in the installation room, they have yet to be identified. One [body] is in separate pieces and one is intact," Edy Purnomo, who is the chief of police's forensic wing, said, reported the Jakarta Globe.

There are also concerns that extremists could attempt to launch more such attacks as officials have been asked to remain vigilant. "The security in and outside of the airport has been intensified," Tommy, Bawono, chief of the Jakarta international airport, told the Tempo news. Several foreign embassies in Jakarta – including the British, American and Australian – have issued travel advisories following the attack.