France's interior minister says a terror attack has been foiled at an advanced stage following raids in the Paris suburb of Argenteuil, in which one man was arrested. The raids took place in the suburb in the north of the city two days after the terror attacks in Brussels left at least 31 people dead, though there is not yet any indication that tonight's arrest was linked to the Belgium attacks on Tuesday (22 March). 6 people have also been arrested in Brussels this evening.
Much of the Argenteuil area is tonight on lockdown, with bomb squads at the scene and residents unable to return home. Around 50 residents were evacuated from one street close to where the arrest was made. One local resident told Parisien: "Given the context everybody is really frightened. My son has already told me that he doesn't want to [go to] school in the morning."
Much of Europe remains on high alert following Tuesday's attacks, in which the main Brussels airport at Zaventem and the Metro station at Maelbeek were each targeted by suicide bombers. Two of these - the el-Bakraoui brothers - are now known to have been on a US terrorist watch list and the US says it knows the identity of another bomber who ran away when his bomb failed to explode. A huge manhunt is now underway for the suspect. There are also suggestions another bomber was involved in the metro attack. The Belgian authorities have apologised for not doing more to apprehend suspects.
Many of the dead are so far unidentified due to the severity of the injures caused by the bombs, which were packed with nails. At least 60 victims are still in intensive care, and four are in comas. There are warnings that there may be further waves of Isis attacks across Europe, including the UK, though no specific plot is known to be imminent.