Jon Flanagan
Liverpool defender Jon Flanagan is not expected to return until November Reuters

Injury-stricken Liverpool defender Jon Flanagan is edging closer to full fitness, following two serious knee surgeries in the space of a year.

Flanagan, 22, enjoyed a breakout campaign for the Reds in the 2013-14 season when the club came within two points of the Premier League title, but has not played a competitive game since May 2014.

The right-back underwent surgery to address a knee problem later that year but was forced to go under the knife again in April to deal with a recurring issue he aggravated in a Liverpool All-Stars game at Anfield.

But there now looks to be some light at the end of the tunnel for the young defender, after he posted this picture on his Instagram with the message: "Getting closer."

Getting closer ????⌚️

A photo posted by Jon Flanagan (@jonflan38) on

Despite having no role to play last season, Flanagan remains in Rodgers' thoughts. The Northern Irish manager offered Flanagan a contract extension in May.

After his latest surgery, Rodgers explained the player faced a spell of around five months in rehabilitation.

But Flanagan's steady progress will be much welcomed, as will that of Daniel Sturridge who delivered a similar update via social media on 15 July.

Sturridge, 25, endured an injury-hit 2014-15 season, starting just 12 games. He missed the final month of the campaign to undergo surgery on a persistent hip problem.

Liverpool struggled in his absence and, as a result, are on the lookout for another striker to add more firepower to their attack ahead of the new campaign.

Sturridge is not expected to make his return until September at the earliest, but the former Manchester City and Chelsea striker says he is making quick progress, writing on his Instagram account: "All in gods hands. Training couldn't be going any better. Closer each day."

Sturridge started the first three games of last season before suffering an injury on international duty. Thigh and hamstring problems meant he did not play again until January and, despite an initially bright return, he struggled for fitness for the remainder of the season.