Marco Lopes
City starlet Lopes struck a hat-trick to maintain his side's 100 percent record in the UEFA Youth League. (Reuters)

The young hopefuls of Manchester United's and Manchester City's revered academies endured contrasting afternoons in the second round of fixtures of the inaugural UEFA Youth League.

United's Under-19's were unable to provide an early omen for David Moyes' side as they suffered a 2-1 defeat to Shakhtar Donetsk, as their neighbours enjoyed a blistering afternoon against the young starlets of Champions League holders Bayern Munich, demolishing their opponents in a 6-0 win.

With the competition mirroring the fixtures played out in the Champions League, Nicky Butt's United side were looking to build on a pulsating 4-3 win over Bayer Leverkusen but were a dealt a blow after just three minutes.

The home side took an early advantage when a free kick hit by Shakhtar's Olexandr Zinchenko struck United captain Liam Grimshaw, who diverted the ball past his own goalkeeper.

Just over ten minutes later United's game plan was thrown into further disarray when forward Sam Byrne was forced to be substituted with an injury after just 15 minutes as Butt's side struggled to breakdown a resilient Shakhtar who were perhaps unlucky not to double their lead at the end of the half.

Andreas Pereira tested the opposition with a well struck free kick in the second half, and it was the young Belgian who provided the telling cross that saw James Wilson head in United's equaliser with less than 15 minutes remaining, the third goal in two games in this competition from the highly regarded forward.

United's joy was short-lived however. Just five minutes after coming on as a substitute Mykyta Bezuglyy calmly slotted home with minutes remaining following a mix up between United goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini and defender Nicholas Ioannou to give the hosts a late lead, and ultimately the win.

Back in Manchester, Patrick Vieira's development side made a huge statement as they fired six past Bayern Munich with no reply to chalk up their second successive win of the competition.

18-year-old Portuguese prodigy Marco Lopes netted a hat trick to raise his tally to an incredible five goals in the competition's first two games in a stand out performance. George Glendon added his effort on the hour while Devante Cole continued his rich vein of form by adding City's sixth after 72 minutes.

Elsewhere in the second round of fixtures, Chelsea's youngsters set an early precedent for the senior side as they strolled to a 4-0 win over Steaua Bucharest on Tuesday, while Celtic were not able to hold on against Barcelona as they conceded a late winner to give the Catalans a 2-1 win.